cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox crashes every time I try to open a file. Yet I can see my file structure.

Dropbox crashes every time I try to open a file. Yet I can see my file structure.

Explorer | Level 3

Dear Dropbox experts, I have had Dropbox for many years with no issues.  I can still open the application on my Mac with Catalina  software and see the folder structure, but everytime I try to open a folder I get the 'Dropbox unexpectedly quit' message.

I have deleted the Dropbox aplication twice and reinstalled.  I have also rebooted twice, once when there was no Dropbox installed. I have made sure the only other application I recently downloaded has been deleted. I can still access my dropbox from another computer and my phone, but neither application offers the required interface.

I just don't know what to do.  I have to use Dropbox for my work so it is essential. 

Please please please can you help.  

Take care, 

Ed 

6 Replies 6

Re: Dropbox crashes every time I try to open a file. Yet I can see my file structure.

Dropboxer

Hi there @eddixon, I'm sorry to hear about that!

So I can have a better idea on your current setup, can you let me know which version of the app you have installed?

When the app is running, you can see this by hovering over the Dropbox icon in your menu bar.

Also, if you happen to have an antivirus software installed, could you try temporarily disabling this and see if the issue persists?

Let me know and we can go from there!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Re: Dropbox crashes every time I try to open a file. Yet I can see my file structure.

Explorer | Level 3

Thank you so much for replying to my message, it means a great deal to me. 

I do not have virus software on my Mac as i reply on Apple’s updates. 

The Dropbox version is: 104.4.175

Once again, thank you in anticipation. 

Ed

Explorer | Level 3
Dear Daphne,

I would be very grateful if you could reply to my reply to you.

My Dropbox still does not work and I am losing a bit of faith in getting some advice to make it work.

Warmest regards,

Ed

Explorer | Level 3

Thank you so much for replying to my message, it means a great deal to me. 

I do not have virus software on my Mac as i reply on Apple’s updates. 

The Dropbox version is: 104.4.175

Once again, thank you in anticipation. 

Ed

Explorer | Level 3

Dear Daphne,

I would be very grateful if you could reply to my reply to you.

My Dropbox still does not work and I am losing a bit of faith in getting some advice to make it work.

Warmest regards,

Ed

Dropboxer

Hey Ed; how are you today?

I'm sorry to jump in here, but I just wanted to mention that if you're still having this issue, you can re-install the app to see if that improves matters at all.

In case that didn't help, you can go ahead and perform a clean, advanced re-install too.

Let us know how you get on, @eddixon

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?