cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We're back with another cheat sheet to make your 2022 easier than ever! Check out our tips here

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox creating two files when dropping folders. One is the original and one has a ._ in fonrt.

Dropbox creating two files when dropping folders. One is the original and one has a ._ in fonrt.

e_bloom1
New member | Level 2

Dropbox is creating two of the same file when I drag and drop a folder into it. For example: If I have a folder named "Updates" on my computer with one Adobe Illustrator and I drag that folder into Dropbox, it will upload the original folder, but the ONE file inside of that folder will now have two illustrator documents. One will be the original file such as "Test Illustrator.ai" and the other will be "._Test Illustrator.ai"

This only happens when dragging and dropping a folder containg files. If I create the folder in dropbox and just drop the Illustrator document I will only have the one original copy.

Screen Shot 2020-08-14 at 1.30.45 PM.png

1 Reply 1

Re: Drop box creating two files when dropping folders. One is the original and one has a ._ in fo...

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hello @e_bloom1, thanks for checking in with us. 

When you find ._ on your files, that is a Mac OS-based behavior that happens when copying files with extended attributes metadata into a file system that doesn't support them.

Depending on the information stored in the metadata, you may or may not need these files, and they're called AppleDouble files.

You can check out more info on them and how to handle them by searching for "apple double files".

If you have your Dropbox folder on an external drive, you may be able to avoid this by making sure that it's formatted in the default file system format for the OS that is installed.

Since formatting drives may cause data to be deleted, please consulting resources from your Operating System's manufacturer for more info on how to do this. 

I hope this helps to some extent, but let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lusil Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?