cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox deleted 80GB of my PCfiles

Dropbox deleted 80GB of my PCfiles

Brudolf
New member | Level 2

Hello everyone. 

Today i installed the dropboxapp on my windows pc. 

Suddenly my traffic went through the sky and i realized that dropbox decided to upload my whole dektop into the cloud (250gb) so i stopped the sinc and deleted the folder in my user/dektop/dropbox then i was asked if i wanted to delet everything.. i thought dropbox is speaking of those file which were already uploaded into dropbox so i said YES... well after that my whole dektop.. all documents /important date /files were GONE.. not in the bin.. GONE.. i already tried a data recovery programm but it couldn find any recentlxy deleted files.. is there ANY way to get the Data on my pc back? Why in Hell does the app even have the rights to delete frpm my pc?

PLEASE help.. those were very important files.

best regards,

leon

2 Replies 2

Re: Dropbox deleted 80GB of my PCfiles

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @Brudolf, thanks for joining the Community.

The way that the computer backup feature works is that it moves the Desktop, and other selected folders, into the Dropbox folder.

If you chose to delete that folder, then all the files in those folders would also be deleted.

Could you doublecheck that there isn't an old Dropbox folder on your device? For those files that were synced, you should be able to recover them from the site directly.

Keep me updated with any progress!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Re: Dropbox deleted 80GB of my PCfiles

Brudolf
New member | Level 2

I can't believe what iam reading here.. Yeah there WAS an Folder of my desktop/dropbox wich i deleted in order to stop the sync.. the app never told me or warned me that it decided to MOVE content from My pc into a new folder.. what the hell guys?

Even if i wanted to upload my stuff to dropbox noone would want dropbox to MOVE your stuf into another path. just COPY it for obviously reasons.. i deleted a folder created by dropbox and so i deleted MY STUFF on the pc?

You can't image how furious iam about The Dropboxapp right now -.-

Thanks for destroying my files dropbox!

Poll
Which Dropbox integrations are you using while working from home?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?