cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox deleted all files from my pc

Highlighted

Dropbox deleted all files from my pc

Helpful | Level 5

Hi, I uninstalled and then re-installed dropbox today because it didn't seem to sync right.

While re-installing, Dropboc uploaded ALL my pc files, I mean folders that were stored on my pc only and NOT in Dropbox.

As I did not want to have this (huge) folders on Dropbox, I deleted them.

I deleted them IN DROPBOX.

Then I realised these folders were no longer stored in my pc.

So Dropbox uploaded these files and folders without asking for any permission, and at the same time it actually also removed them from my pc.

The result is I lost all of my files, except the folders that were originally saved in my Dropbox.

How is this possible?

Can someone please help?

1 Reply 1
Highlighted

Re: Dropbox deleted all files from my pc

Helpful | Level 5

...and as I'm now trying to figure out what happened, I understand that it's actually impossible to delete the "Back Up - My PC" Folder from Dropbox, unless you have a Plus account. So Dropbox as a free service does not practically exist anymore. Or else, who could have ALL of their files exclusively online, and be only able to access the files while online?

It's Dropbox's choice to continue offering a free subscription or not.

But you guys should offer adequate notification before you remove all of my local files out of my PC. 

A box ticked by default reading "Back up", during the installation, is NOT adequate notification.

I have lost all of the files I was currently working on, months of work, because of this unbelievable dropbox update.

This is definitely worth a lawsuit and I intend to take legal action.

No need to say I'm planning to quit dropbox after years of being a happy user.

Such a shame!

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?