cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox deleted all my files

Dropbox deleted all my files

Explorer | Level 3

I had installed dropbox for windows and the installation told me it would sync my files from my documents and my downloads folder. Before the syncing could finish, I had paused it and closed my laptop cause it was really late and way past my bedtime. Next morning I open my laptop and only the files that had synced were there and all of the other files were gone from my PC. Then and there I created a restore point so that I could still use my pc without messing the files up even more. Somone please help me I tried using recuva too but there werent any deleted files. Are my files gone for good?

11 Replies 11

Re: Dropbox deleted all my files

Dropboxer

Hello there @ElectricJoestar, I hope you're well today!

From what you've mentioned, you enabled the computer backup feature to sync these folders to Dropbox.

Can you please check in your local Dropbox folder on your computer for a "My PC" folder, to see if your files are all located there?

If you don't see this, please make sure that the option to show hidden files is enabled on your computer, just in case.

Let me know what you find and we'll go from there!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

Sorry for the late reply, @Daphne , I looked for hidden files and no, I can not find the rest of my files there. Are there any other solutions?

Dropboxer

No problem at all, thanks for checking on that @ElectricJoestar!

I'd suggest disabling the computer backup feature to see if that does the trick. To do this, please follow the steps towards the bottom of this article.

In step 8, choose to keep the files on your computer rather than in Dropbox, and then have another look for those files to see if you can locate them.

Keep me posted with how it goes!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

Hi daphne, I followed all my steps and I'm afraid my files aren't back.

Dropboxer

I see, thanks for trying that @ElectricJoestar.

If you check your deleted files page in your Dropbox account online, do you see any of the files that you're missing locally?

If not, do you see any actions related to those files in your events page?

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Explorer | Level 3

Hi @Daphne, I found the files in my in my recently deleted section, so I restored them. But it said that my storage was full so it could not sync. Was that supposed to happen? Cause they aren't in my downloads folder on my pc.

Dropboxer

If your account is already full, it wouldn't be possible to restore files to your account as it would put you over the space limit.

You would need to free up some space in your account so that you have room to restore the files.

To do this, you could download some existing files/folder locally to your computer so that you can remove them from Dropbox. Then you can try and restore the files again.

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Explorer | Level 3

But it said all the files were restored because they aren't in the recently deleted folder anymore

Dropboxer

In this case, can you do a quick search in your account online for these restored files?

If it shows that the files were restored, but now you're out of space due to restoring the files, then it may just be that they were not able to sync to your computer as the account is now overquota.

However, if it showed the files were restored and are no longer in the deleted files tab, then you should be able to view the files in your account online.

Can you check to see if this is the case?

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?