cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We love to hear how every person gets the most from Dropbox, and it seems everyone has a slightly different use for it - tell us yours here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox deleted all the files on my Mac after I tried to remove the automatic backup

Dropbox deleted all the files on my Mac after I tried to remove the automatic backup

abab09
Explorer | Level 4

Hello!

I was trying to remove some space on my dropbox account to share files and I removed the Mac backup folder. After this was done, my computer reset and deleted all the files that were on my computer. How can I restore these files? 

Dropbox phone customer support is nonexistent and I have not found any answers to how I can restore my files without upgrading to a new account and paying $200. All I want is to get the files I had on my computer before, please help!!

Thanks.

16 Replies 16

Re: Dropbox deleted all the files on my Mac after I tried to remove the automatic backup

Rponce0811
Helpful | Level 5

The same problem just ocurred to me.  HELP

Re: Dropbox deleted all the files on my Mac after I tried to remove the automatic backup

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hey @abab09 and @Rponce0811, thanks for reaching out to us. 

Your support options depend on the account that you have, and you can find yours by logging in and going to this link.

As for the missing files, you can have a look at your events page, deleted files tab, as well as your local Trash. 

If you find them online as deleted, you can restore them by following these steps

Let me know how it goes, cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Rponce0811
Helpful | Level 5

The files are nowhere to be found.  I received this notification if I wanted to try backing up my desktop and my Mac Files on Dropbox, when I pressed "yes" the system started transfering files and it soon gave me a message that there was no space on Dropbox for all my files, so I cancelled the backup, now the files are not in my Computer and are not in Dropbox either. They are not in deleted items nor in my "trash". 

abab09
Explorer | Level 4
Yeah, already did these steps. Cannot be found anywhere. We need the next steps in order to restore the desktop, documents, and downloads folders from our computers (MacBook).

abab09
Explorer | Level 4

I am responding to this thred because I have no where else to turn. I tried the dropbox community and that has proven to be no help. This issue seems to be something that normal troubleshooting can't resolve. I understand that the cloud system Dropbox is trying is still in beta and there are issues that need to be resolved. I was connected to customer service but they have stopped responding and it has gotten me absolutley no where. I am aware that you do not have a customer support line, but there has to be someone I can talk to!  If dropbox was able to delete all the files from my computer that must have the ability to restore them. So please get me in touch with someone who can actually help here! Please.

abab09
Explorer | Level 4

Were you able to get any help on this issue? I am stuck in a loop with customer service, but wanted to reach out to see if you were able to get any closer to resolving this problem.

If I hear anything, i'll be sure to let you know.

Rponce0811
Helpful | Level 5

Nothing from Dropbox, I don´t even know how to contact them.  I lost all my files that were on my Desktop.  Some files are really important and I don´t have any way of recuperating them. 

abab09
Explorer | Level 4

Yeah, same here. I contacted customer support but am now just waiting for someone to reply. They dont have a phone number so I am really just sitting here waiting. I also have been stuck because some of the files I lost were for work and now I can't complete them. I will let you know if they reach back out to me... 

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hey there peeps!

@Rponce0811, since you mentioned that you're not able to find them after enabling the backup, can you please try force quitting the Finder and relaunching it to see if that helps?

If you're not sure on how to do this then please check out these steps.

Otherwise, can you check in the Dropbox folder to see if the files are within the "My Mac" folder?

@abab09, can you let me know the ticket number (eg. #1234567) you received when you contacted our Support team?

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

emilyfildes1 Explorer | Level 3
    JACKY91 Explorer | Level 4
    anonymous Not applicable
    Grfxman New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?