cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our users can answer all of your questions on files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Dropbox deleted files and directories and now has modified everything to 22 July

Helpful | Level 5

There is no event log for what happened. It seems that it started mid morning yesterday and continued. I was on my laptop and it was fine. My hisband was on his laptop and he said that Dropbox was 'missing'. I moved to one pc and noted that it had no dropbox. I went to another it had started to resync the whole dropbox. Then chunks of files and directories went missing. Then we asked to restore some of them and now we have thousands of files which all say 'modified 22/07/2019'. How do we restore our dropbox to its state as at 9am on 22/07/2019?

Neither of us had asked to resync. It seems that maybe Dropbox updated itself and then tried to resync. I cannot find any explanation.

4 Replies 4
Highlighted

Re: Dropbox deleted files and directories and now has modified everything to 22 July

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey there @Nich30

While I can't exactly pin-point why your desktop app may have re-synced or re-indexed content, but in order to have a more in-depth look into this, I'd recommend moving this discussion to email. 

I was able to locate your ticket and have made sure to pass your comments along to the member of my team reviewing this for you. 

As soon as they have more info and relevant steps to share with you, they'll get back to you via email. 

Thanks in advance for your patience!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Dropbox support query #9519369 - Dropbox deleted our files. This is not resolved please open this

Helpful | Level 5

My query Dropbox deleted thousands of files and re-dated is NOT solved. In fact the opposite. Please can you reopen this.

You have deleted our files and upon Restore, you have changed all the dates of every file to the restore date. This is not our fault this delete process started without any prompting.

We need to get our dates back. How do we get our dates back please? We need to archive files and we cannot tell when anything was created.

Highlighted

Re: Dropbox support query #9519369 - Dropbox deleted our files. This is not resolved please open th

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi there @Nich30, sorry to hear about that. 

Initially, please note that Dropbox doesn't and cannot edit or delete files without user or third party app interaction. 

As per your concern, since you mention that you have a ticket reviewed by a member of the team, you can reply to their email if you'd like to continue troubleshooting. 

I've also made sure to pass your comments along to them, so please make sure to check their response that should be in your inbox. 

Thanks in advance!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Re: Dropbox support query #9519369 - Dropbox deleted our files. This is not resolved please open th

Helpful | Level 5

I am not sure if I am replying to right place as I was trying to get the bottom of the question as to why Dropbox has now marked all my files as 22 July 2019 which is the date that it restored them. I want to get the dates changed back to when the documents were last created/modified. 

I do not understand how dropbox is modifying the files. I need to recover the files old dates. I can see that this is an issue for many users who have befallen the same fate as me. I have not recieved any proper explanation as to why Dropbox decided to start deleting folders and files. It looks to me like an error, and to find that it does not have a proper and useable restore function is frankly lame. How do I get my file dates back to how they were?

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?