cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our users can answer all of your questions on files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Dropbox denying access to a folder someone invited me to because I 'don't have enough space'

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Just where does Dropbox get off denying me access to a folder someone else created and invited me to, simply because I never renewed my subscription with them and they consider that I 'used all my space' on that expired subscription?  Do they understand that they are breaching the contract they've made with the other party, who is paying them for an account from which they have the right to share with anyone they chose?

This is exactly the kind of crap that caused me to leave Dropbox years ago.  I've informed the creator of the folder about this issue, and recommended that they seek a full refund for breach of contract.  It doesn't matter what I have in my old account with Dropbox.  I didn't create this current folder I've been invited to share to, so my 'space' is not the issue.  I even went ahead and deleted all the old files.  Nothing.  I have ZERO mbs in my old expired account and am still being denied access.

Enjoy the lawsuits for breach of contract, Dropbox.

4 Replies 4
Highlighted

Re: Dropbox denying access to a folder someone invited me to because I 'don't have enough space'

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey there @laurie d.5,

Your Dropbox quota is calculated based on the total contents of your Dropbox account, which includes shared folders. If someone shares a folder with you that is larger than the amount of space available in your account then you won’t be able to accept that shared folder.

Because every member of a shared folder can add and modify the files in the shared folder, the shared folder takes up space in each member's account. To work around this, the owner of the folder can share the content with you via a shared link. The shared link won’t count towards your account quota and allows view only access and the ability to download content should the owner allow it.

We hope this helps to explain why you’re experiencing this issue. If you have any other questions then please don't hesitate to reach out to me - Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Re: Dropbox denying access to a folder someone invited me to because I 'don't have enough space'

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Thanks for your reply. I've shared with the owner of the account and this is as unacceptable solution as I need to upload files to them.  So your 'work around' of them sending me a link is useless, as I still cannot upload. They are sufficiently exasperated by Dropbox's disinterest in accommodating both of us, and have advised they will not be renewing their Dropbox account at the end of the cycle.

It is obvious that the owner of the account who has shared with me is not me.  Completely different state, credit card #, permissions, etc.  And by limiting their ability to receive files by trying to punish me for not renewing me account with Dropbox, your organization is in breach of its contract with them.  I've recommended they reach out to their legal counsel regarding this matter.

Storage is cheap in this era, and there is no reason for Dropbox to hoard it and blackmail users into trying to renew accounts, which is what you're doing.  Not a sustainable business model, terrible optics and the creation of ill will amongst users is the result.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

...so, let me get this straight:  You're charging customer A and customer B for 1 TB of data.  Customer A uses 50% and Customer B uses 50%, and they share with each other, bringing both of them to 100% of their limit?  Each user only created 50% content, but now you're charging them for 100% each?  How is that not fraud?  You've promised them 1TB each, but you're now shutting them down at 500G each?

...additionally, you've stated that the reason I can't upload to a folder someone else created is because I 'might be trying to get free storage by creating multiple accounts with different names.'  Yet, if I had no dropbox account at all, I could theoretically have multiple people share folders with me and never reach a limit, since there would be no account associated with me.

I think if you're going to accuse people of fabricating accounts to 'get free space,' you should really have some proof before doing so and shutting them off.  You lost me as a customer years ago; you are now losing a large association with a business level membership because of this nonsense.  

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @laurie d.5,

As you will need edit rights to make changes in a shared folder, this means that you will need to have the shared folder in your account also. This is why the shared folder takes space in the recipient's account too, since they are able to modify the content of the folder.

I understand that this isn't ideal for you, so I've made sure to pass along all your comments to our dev team for review.

If you only need to upload files to the folder, perhaps the owner of the folder can send you a file request? This will allow you to upload files directly to the folder without the need to add the folder to your Dropbox account. Again, I understand this isn't ideal for you but I'd like to suggest an alternative for you both in the meantime.

I hope this helps to some extent - Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?