cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox does not save screenshots reliably

Highlighted

Dropbox does not save screenshots reliably

Explorer | Level 3

I recently noticed that Dropbox does not save all screenshots.

I'm using Wiindows 8.1 and currently the Task Scheduler is in the foreground and the screenshot does not save although it is on the clipboard. File Explorer saves as expected as does Firefox. FreeCommander does not save.

It seems that it's only a problem on some applications.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

14 Replies 14
Highlighted

Re: Dropbox does not save screenshots reliably

Dropboxer

Hey there @John31415, thanks for reaching out to us here!

Can you let me know which version of the desktop app you have installed?

Also, please clarify for me what steps you're using to take the screenshots on this computer. 

Keep me posted!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Hello Daphne

Version is 105.4.651.0

I'm on a Fujitsu laptop and I use it's function keys Fn+Prt Scr for a screenshot.

I went back through the Dropbox/Screenshots folder as far as 2015 but found nothing from the apps I mentioned. Whether they were deleted or never worked I've no idea but what I do know is that for some time I've been frustrated by the fact that nothing created by the Windows Snipping Tool ever gets into the Dropbox/Screenshots folder.

Regards

John

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Thanks for that info @John31415!

There are some differences between devices, so can you let me know if the Function key is needed to take the screenshot? Or does this combination allow you to select the area you want to screenshot?

What I'm wondering is if this is due to capturing just a selection of the screen instead of the full screen. 

If possible, can you take a full screen screenshot and let me know if this is uploaded?

Daphne

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Hello Daphne

The Function key is needed to take the screenshot. It can only take a capture of the whole screen. Sometimes it uploads to Dropbox and sometimes it doesn't. It appears to fail when taking a screenshot of particular applications.

Windows Snipping Tool can take four types of capture, Freeform, Rectangular, Window or Full-Screen. None of these upload to Dropbox.

FastStone Image Viewer, which I don't normally use for this purpose, can take five types of capture and none upload to Dropbox.

If I select an area of the screen in Windows Paint it goes to the clipboard but does not upload to Dropbox.
If I press Fn+PrtScr with Windows Paint in the foreground it DOES upload to Dropbox.

The more I test it the more strange it becomes.

I hope this helps.

Regards
John

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Thanks for the additional information, John. 

I'm not sure if this will do the trick, but could you disable the option to save screenshots to Dropbox and re-enable it using these steps

If that doesn't help improve matters, you can go ahead and re-install the app as well.

In any case, please keep us posted! 

Walter

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Hello Walter

I had tried those steps about a week ago but just to be sure I've tried again but there is no improvement.

Regards

John

Highlighted

Dropboxer

In that case, and if reinstalling the app didn't help much, I'd recommend a clean, advanced re-install, John.

This might do the trick for you.

Let me know how you get on!

Walter

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Damm even I am having a similar kind of issue, I have searched all over the internet and even have posted on number of threads on different forum, no solution seems to work. I am really frustrated, can anyone of you here help me resolve this issue, I am very much tired now.

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Hey @bansalrehana, thanks for nudging us on this thread. 

Have you tried out the suggestions Walter mentions in this post

If you have, could you let us know which version of the desktop app you are running?

Cheers!

Lusil

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?