cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox does not sync local files changes in macOS Catalina

Highlighted

Dropbox does not sync local files changes in macOS Catalina

Explorer | Level 4

Hello, I've reinstalled Dropbox several times, the last couple of them following this (https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/desktop/advanced-reinstall) to ensure that it is reinstalled from scratch.

I've macOS Catalina version 10.15.6 (19G2021) (the last one available today) and Dropbox for Mac versión v104.4.175 (also the last one available today). I have check that the OS preferences allows full disk access (everytime I've reinstalled).

Well, after all this, Dropbox does not work: it does not sync any local file change unless you pause and re-start again (then it syncronizes the changes, but after that it stops syncronizing). All the time it says that it is "Up to date", but it is able to sync when the changes are in other computers.

I have tested with OneDrive in the same computer and it works properly.

Thank you.

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Re: Dropbox does not sync local files changes in macOS Catalina

Dropboxer

Hello @Samuel_MV, thanks for reaching out to us. 

Could you try the following steps in the exact order listed, and see if they trigger a change in behavior? 

• Click on the Dropbox icon in your menu bar.
  • Go to the gear in the Notifications panel.
  • Select Preferences...
  • Navigate to the Account tab.
  • Click anywhere in the window under the tab.
  • Hold down the Option/Alt key.
  • Click on the Fix Hardlinks button (make sure you're still holding down the Option/Alt key).
  • You may be asked for your computer's login credentials, in which case, please enter them.
  • Wait a bit to see if Dropbox resumes syncing.

If the above steps don’t help, repeat steps 1-6, but at step 7, click on the Fix Permissions button, instead. 

Let me know how it goes, cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Thank you, Lusil. I've tried both solutions but it still doesn't work. I quit Dropbox and restarted again and nothing ...

I have been using Dropbox for a lot of years and maybe it could be related with the folder location I'm using. Instead of using the standard Dropbox folder in my home directory, I'm using a link to an external drive. This has worked perfectly for years, but now I'm not sure if this could be related.

Dropbox is configured to use "/Users/samuel/Dropbox" but the real folder is in "/Volumes/Extra/Dropbox" and is linked using "ln -s". If I try to change the dropbox folder location in preferences, it says "Error with selected folder. This folder is your current Dropbox!".

Due to this issue I'm strongly considering going back to Mac OS X Mojave ...

Thank you again.

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Thanks for the additional information, @Samuel_MV - definitely helps have a better understanding of your setup. 

It sounds like there's a symlink created for the Dropbox folder and, since symlinks can cause unexpected behaviors, it may explain why you're having syncing issues such as the ones you described. 

For this reason, what you can try are the following the steps:

• Unlink the desktop app from your account. 
  • Delete the symlink in question. 
  • Move the Dropbox folder to a safe/desired location. 
  • Advanced reinstall
  • Select the Dropbox folder's location during setup. 

Note that, if you're on a Basic account, due to the three device limit that you have, you'll have to make sure that you have two or less devices connected to continue with this. 

In any case, keep me posted!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?