cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox doesn't save larger documents

Dropbox doesn't save larger documents

Collaborator | Level 8

My Dropbox doesn't seem to like saving my larger Microsoft Word documents. It looks like it has saved. but when I come back to it the next day, it hasn't, and sometimes says it hasn't saved for days when it has been. To make things stranger, I am well under the Microsoft 32 MB File Size Limit for documents in word.

Is there any way I can try to stop my Dropbox from behaving like this? Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Dropbox doesn't save larger documents

Collaborator | Level 8

Hello again. I've moved all my files to an external drive, and I will be looking into other Cloud Services.  Thank you for your help.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Dropboxer

Hey @-Black_Ecstasy-, thanks for reaching out!

Just to make sure we're on the same page, can you tell me if you're editing the file locally on your computer using the Word app, or using the Word Online integration with the website?

Also, when you mentioned seeing that the file appears to have saved, where do you see this?

Looking forward to your reply!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Collaborator | Level 8

Hi, Daphne!

I edit locally. It's never given me a problem in smaller documents. and editing on the Word Online Integration is often buggy, laggy and glitchy for me unfortunatly, especially in larger documents.

As for the saving, after I save a document, I pull up the File Manager and check the date and time to make sure it has saved. It always saves, but the next time I go into the document, it seems to have be undone, along with all my changes.

Thanks!

Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me here @-Black_Ecstasy-!

It does indeed sound very strange. When you check the timestamp after editing the file, do you see the green tick sync icon that shows the file is synced with Dropbox?

Also, can you check the version history of one of these files online, to see if you can see the edited version of the file, and then the file being reverted back to the older changes?

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Collaborator | Level 8

Hey,

Yes, the Green Tick Sync Icon is there.

As For Version History, the lost information (and its Version) are missing entirely, often leading to wide strings of missing document versions when there should be one. I have never been able to recover one of these missing versions, unless I saved them outside Dropbox.

Thanks!

Dropboxer

I see, this might suggest that the edited version of the file is not being saved to Dropbox online.

Next time you make an edit to one of the documents, can you please check if the change is synced to your Dropbox account online?

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Collaborator | Level 8

Hey, I'm trying with a larger and a smaller document, but Dropbox seemed to have gotten itself stuck im a syncing loop with the smaller document; The larger one did however. Computer restart did not fix the issue, however the larger document is still saved.

Thanks.

Dropboxer

Can you try the steps Lusil outlined here, to see if that resolves the syncing issue that you're having?

Since you're seeing the edits in your account online for that test file, even if a previous version is restored, the current version will remain in the version history.

Now, as we've confirmed that this version was saved to Dropbox, can you come back to the file tomorrow to see if the edits have been reverted?

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Collaborator | Level 8

Hey, It fixed itself after two hours, not ideal, but it does work. I've used that technique before, but it has never worked for me. It tends to only make things worse by making my syncing more unstable.

I can check. However it typically takes more than one day for changes to mysteriously revert. Typically, 2 days to week depending on how often the document is opened. It doesn't even create conflicted copies when it happens like other Cloud Drives I've used.

Thanks.

Edit: I checked the document this morning and it appears fine, however this document in particular typically takes two days to be reversed.

Collaborator | Level 8

Hello again. I've moved all my files to an external drive, and I will be looking into other Cloud Services.  Thank you for your help.

View solution in original post

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?