Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Dropbox download deleted files from my hard drive

Explorer | Level 3

I have used drop box for years. I purchased a new computer and synced Dropbox. After a Time my computer stopped syncing because apparently I had too many computers on Dropbox (new rule I guess). I just realized it was not syncing. So today I downloaded Dropbox again and all the new files on my computer are gone. Only those files on the cloud remain! Help!

7 Replies 7
Highlighted

Re: Dropbox download deleted files from my hard drive

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey @Snoopydog

I’d be happy to help - let’s see what we can do. 

Please note that all of your previously linked devices remain connected unless you disconnect them, where the limit could apply if you’re working on a Basic account. 

However, it looks like the missing files weren’t syncing when placed them in the Dropbox folder. You can reference the Dropbox sync icons on your desktop to confirm that. Can you check an example file’s Version History (tip: it’s on the 💬 of the file in question) to see what has been synced so far?

Let me know what you find and we’ll go from there. Thanks! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

I do have a Basic account.  So, I noticed they were not syncing, and attempted to get things back in sync.  While this process was happening I attempted to open a Word document I had been working on yesterday and it was not there.  I went to my dropbox folder and it was nowhere to be found.

So, I paused the sync.  Believe it or not, shortly after that my computer completely crashed! When it rains it pours I guess?

So, now I am backing up my files before I reinstall the OS and I am noticing a bunch of files called "Drop Box (old)."  I am hopeful that dropbox saved all the stuff on my PC that did not sync, in this new, "old" file?!  Could it be?

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Thanks for the extra details here @Snoopydog!

It looks like a new Dropbox folder was created when you re-downloaded the app. If so, then it’s highly that your files were saved back to the initial location after you edited them. Can you confirm whether the missing edits were saved locally? 

If so, then you can cross-check what's missing on your Dropbox account & upload the newer version of your files to your Dropbox account before you proceed with the OS re-install.

Thanks for taking the time to have a second look; please let me know how you get on! 

Jane

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

I was able to back up all my files, both Drop box and Drop box (old).  And, all those files are on my PC now!  The files I thought I had lost are in drop box (old).  But, I do not have the dropbox cloud linked to my computer.  I'm not sure the best way to get dropbox up and running again.  I am little reluctant at this point.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hang on tight; hopefully we’ll have this sorted soon @Snoopydog!

As you mentioned that you’ve now uploaded all your files to your account online, I’d suspect that the re-installation hasn’t been carried correctly & your files are still not syncing as expected. If so, then you may have two Dropbox folders at the moment;let’s see if either is syncing. 

• Can I have you check on the system tray/menu bar for the Dropbox icon? Does it appear on your end/does it display any diagnostic messages?
  • If you see Dropbox on your system tray, then you can navigate on the 📁 icon that should re-direct you to your folder structure. Do you see the sync icons / on your files?
  • If you’re not seeing the Dropbox icon, then you’d need to see if you have the app on your Applications/Control Panel. If you locate an entry there, I’d suggest uninstalling it & re-installing anew. 
Please keep me posted on the outcome. Thanks again! 

Jane

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

okay.  Took a break for the holidays.  I currently DO NOT have Dropbox installed on my PC.  On my PC I do have a folder called "Dropbox" and a folder called "Dropbox (old)."  The Dropbox folder has all the files that are currenlty saved online in my dropbox accout.  The Dropbox (old) has all the files online in my dropbox account AND several months of files I created while my PC was not linked.

It's confusing, I know.

If I download Dropbox to my PC again, I fear it will create another "Dropbox" (old)."  In that case I will still have months of files that will not be synced.

At the moment I am not eager to download Dropbox again.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

If that's the case, why don't you merge those folders first and then re-install the app to get going with the current task at hand @Snoopydog?

Note that the two Dropbox Folders you're seeing are local copies of your Dropbox files and not syncing at all since you're not running the app at the moment. 

At this point, I'd suggest that you copy or move the files from both folders into a new one (just in case) and then try to re-install the desktop app.

If you wish to re-install the Dropbox software and you do not want to re-download all of your files from the server, you'll need to choose the "Advanced" setup option during the installation process and then choose the parent folder of the existing Dropbox folder as the location for this new install.

For example, if your old Dropbox folder was added to: C:\Desktop\Dropbox you would need to choose C:\Desktop and the client will try and create a new Dropbox folder. If you're connecting with the same Dropbox account as before, Dropbox will detect the existing folder and will then prompt you to merge the Dropbox folder. Upon merging the desktop version of Dropbox will check the existing files and the server versions and update accordingly.

Please do note that any changes made to the files in the Dropbox folder or on the web interface while the folder was "offline" will generate conflicted copies.

Keep us posted on your progress!

Walter

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?