cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Find out how Tiffany, a Customer Experience superstar uses Dropbox to keep her family in the loop when it comes to her new baby here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox editing and clunkiness

Dropbox editing and clunkiness

Sara16
Helpful | Level 5

My company started using Dropbox Business about two years ago. I'm the primary user, but we also have two other people acting as admins. So far, it's been a pretty helpful tool, especially when shuttling large files back and forth or sharing files with people outside the business.

I have had a few issues with managing files and folders, though. The interface is strangely clunky, especially when renaming a file or selecting images. The thing that drives me mad is that any time you click on an image (not on the check-box) it automatically selects it. I can see how this could be useful, but I can't tell you how many times an image has been accidentally selected and when I grab a share link, it links to ONLY the image that was selected. The bigger issue is when I try to rename an image, or move images. After I make the editing changes, it automatically reselects the image, which seems really odd to me.

Another issue I've noticed with renaming files is that oftentimes, the rename doesn't take. Yesterday I renamed several files in one folder. Today, when I looked in the folder, one file had attached a (1) after the filename (there is only one of those files in the folder, so it's not a repeat name), and another file, although changed, had duplicated itself into an image that just showed the little Dropbox UFO logo and was unable to be previewed. I don't know why that happened, or when. It certainly wasn't there yesterday when I made those changes. And although I unchecked every image, because of the lag Dropbox has during editing, it reselected the last image I had edited even after I unchecked it. It drives me nuts! 

One last issue. When uploading large folders with varying content, why doesn't everything always transfer? I work with a photo studio and retouching studio and they will drop images into folders, but oftentimes only a partial transfer will occur. The same has happened to me when dropping large files. The best workaround I've found there is to just zip everything, but that is sooo time consuming on top of already waiting for the upload.

Any suggestions or workarounds would be appreciated! Thanks!

3 Replies 3

Re: Dropbox editing and clunkiness

Lori
Dropboxer
Hey there @Sara16, how are you today? 

Thank you for taking the time to explain this in great detail! 

Before I'm able to look into this, and see if this is expected behavior or not, can you confirm whether or not you're referring to our website and not the app? 

If you're using the website, which sounds like the case here, do you use a specific browser? 

Let me know, and we'll take it from there.

Lori
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Sara16
Helpful | Level 5

Hi Lori, thanks. Yes, it is the website, not the app. I'm using the most updated version of Chrome.

Lori
Dropboxer
Thanks for the heads up @Sara16

In regards to what you mentioned in the first paragraph, this is the expected behavior of our website at the moment when renaming content. 

Now, the rename not taking place sounds a bit odd. If I were you, I would try to restore Chrome to its default settings and disable any browser plugins. 

Can you also try clearing your cache, and trying another browser to see if it behaves the same? 

As for the uploading process, keep in mind that the Dropbox desktop application is the preferred method of uploading files.

The web site uploader has a limit of 50GB per file or folder upload. 

Lori
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lori Dropboxer
    Sara16 Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?