cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about apps and Dropbox integrations to make working from home easy here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox fails to load on iPad iOS 14, apps trying to save to it crash

Dropbox fails to load on iPad iOS 14, apps trying to save to it crash

yummyegg
Explorer | Level 3

On iPad Pro 12.9 (4th gen), iOS 14.0.1 - dropbox folders fail to load inside the 'Files' app so when I try to save a new file to dropbox - example from the drawing app Clip Studio Paint - it's unable to load the dropbox location resulting in infinite loading and a crash. 

I've already lost multiple files because the dropbox folder in Files app just doesn't open / shows completely blank while the dropbox app itself is fine. It causes other programs to infinitely load on the saving screen eventually causing in freezing and crashing of other apps. 

It's only been doing this the last few days and has never done this before. 

Happening on app version 228.2.4

There are no error messages shown. 

9 Replies 9

Re: Dropbox fails to load on iPad iOS 14, apps trying to save to it crash

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hey @yummyegg, let's see what we can do on this. 

Do you have any pending updated on your OS by any chance?

Also, try toggling the option to set Dropbox as a location on your Files app off and on again.

Give me a shout with any updates, thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

yummyegg
Explorer | Level 3

I've updated to the latest iOS yesterday and have toggled dropbox on and off in files locations, however the issue is still happening 😞 

Happened again just now, Clip studio paint is unable to access files or save to the locations, I go into the files app and the dropbox location is completely blank. 

I've left it open and after a few minutes it loaded on its own again without touching the screen. 

Lusil
Dropboxer
Could you send me a screenshot of the error message?

Also, does this issue happen when trying to save files specifically from Clip Studio Paint?

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

yummyegg
Explorer | Level 3

Neither app shows an error message when this happens. 

Clip will either show completely blank 'save to' field, or have infinite loading while trying to upload. 

Dropbox will open the app itself just fine, but the Dropbox location in Files becomes either completely blank or inaccessible.

I managed to recreate the error (cca 1:38PM GMT 2+) and it took about 3-4 minutes before the location in Files opened again. 

The error happened directly after saving a file, then trying to save a second file immediately after. The first file saved fine, but the second file caused infinite loading in Clip that resulted in a crash - checking the Files app, the dropbox location couldn't even be opened at all. 

Tried testing it again by rapidly saving files one after the other, but if I try to do it in bursts of doing a few second doodle, then saving it, the error does not occur. 

Trying to upload files directly through the dropbox app seems fine but is a huge hassle. I use dropbox for the convenience of saving my art files directly to it, being able to update them as I draw with a simple click and accessing them on my PC instantly. 

When trying to export a canvas from procreate and save it as a psd to dropbox through the share > save to dropbox menu, it shows an error screen that says "An unknown error occured. Sorry, an error occurred. Please try again later."

2:06PM error happens again trying to save through the Save As option in Clip, Files location does not open at all.

While the error is still happening, uploading a jpg from my photos to the dropbox app itself works just fine.

Trying to toggle the Files location on and off does not make the location available, it's not even opening to show a blank screen but continues to stick on the 'On my iPad' screen. Trying to save a file in clip while the Dropbox location is inaccessible shows a completely blank save to menu, when it finally loads the dropbox location is greyed out. 

Took until 2:10PM for it to load again. 

If I close the save to menu, then try to save a file again the dropbox location can be selected (without restarting) 

If I'm trying to update an existing file, by hitting the 'save' button while the error is happening - it causes Clip to try to load the file from dropbox and fail. It will show a screen saying it's trying to access the file but will not load anything and continues so for minutes. If I close that popup, it will open multiple new ones saying the same thing until it eventually doesn't recognize the link between the dropbox and clip file and shows a blank filename then asks me where I want to save it as if it was a new file. 

Managed to recreate this error at 2:29PM

Here is an imgur link with screenshots of some of the problems mentioned https://imgur.com/a/TwrAHM7

Daphne
Dropboxer
Could you try clearing the Dropbox app cache to see if that helps at all @yummyegg? You can do this by:
  1. Open the Dropbox app.
  2. Tap the "Account" tab.
  3. Tap the gear icon in the top left corner.
  4. Choose the option "Clear cache".
If you still get the same errors, please try reinstalling the Dropbox app. After uninstalling, I'd suggest restarting your device too before installing the app again.

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

yummyegg
Explorer | Level 3

I emptied the cache on both the app and on my PC, I reinstalled the app and restarted my iPad.

It was actually working fine for hours until now, around 1:10AM where I was trying to save / update a file and it gave me the infinite 'accessing file' issue, checked the files app and dropbox was inaccessible again causing clip to crash 

Lusil
Dropboxer

I'd be more than happy to further investigate this with you, but we'd have to continue via email. 

Would it be alright if I sent you a ticket?

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

yummyegg
Explorer | Level 3

That's fine with me, please do

Lusil
Dropboxer
I just sent you one, @yummyegg

Whenever you have a moment, check your inbox and we'll go from there. Cheers!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Poll
How do you get refocussed while working from home? Do you find any of these options keep you from getting distracted?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?