cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our users can answer all of your questions on files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Dropbox files WILL NOT DELETE! Have no option to Delete!

Explorer | Level 3

I have cleared out all data from my DropBox due to failed functions. 

There remain TWO FILE backups in Dropbox that have no function option connected to them.  They will not open!  There is no way to delete them.  There are no (...) ellipse menu items to click on.

How/Who has the power to delete these files?

Thank you,

Richard..

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Dropbox files WILL NOT DELETE! Have no option to Delete!

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

If that's the case, then most likely they've been deleted, which is why there's no way to access them.

As these are in the recent files section, they will be removed as they get pushed off the list when new files are uploaded/edited or accessed.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7
Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

Any chance of a screengrab with any personal info blocked out?

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

I was able to re-establish the uploading of new backups, but the two that should be deleted are still there.

Note from above the APPS folder everything has the (...) menu.  The two below it DO NOT and I have found no way to delete them.

Screen Shot 2020-05-23.png

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @richcb, thanks for messaging today!

Are you able to navigate to the files directly in your Dropbox account, from the Files tab on the left, to then view the options to delete the files from there?

Keep me posted!

Jay

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

NO.  The two at the bottom that DO NOT have the (...), don't do anything.  They should be deleted, but they won't go away.

The other ones above (newer files) that DO have the (...) can all be manipulated.  They are real files.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Regarding the files are you able to navigate to them in your file structure as per the previous message?

If you try opening them, do the files open up and preview on the site?

Jay

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Nope.  I can't navigate to them either.  They are ghosts.  They are there, but there is nothing there.  They cannot be clicked on - or if you click on them, it is as if nothing was there.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

If that's the case, then most likely they've been deleted, which is why there's no way to access them.

As these are in the recent files section, they will be removed as they get pushed off the list when new files are uploaded/edited or accessed.

Jay

View solution in original post

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?