cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox- files copied or moved??

Dropbox- files copied or moved??

GillianL
New member | Level 2

Hi, I said 'yes' to Dropbox without reading anything first.  Without giving me any options, it immediately started doing something with my files, (and was at it for quite a while).  Each file in explorer looks like it is in the same place, but if I right click on a file and ask for 'properties', every file has 'dropbox' within the address.  A 'search' for any of the files, only comes up with one copy.  Having clicked anxiously on a few various places within the Dropbox file, now showing in the explorer list, I find a duplicate identical list of all my files.  Does that mean that the one single copy of each file has been actually moved to within the Dropbox file, and that if that were to be deleated, all my files would just disappear???  Presumably then, all the original files, still listed in their old position outside dropbox, are currently just short-cuts to my actual files (which are tetering a lot nearer virtual extinction than they normally are on my hard-drive).

If I have understood this correctly, presumably the solution would be to copy all my files from within Dropbox, try and find space on an external drive to paste them to, so that everything goes wrong on my lap-top, I can load them back on again, delete everything from within Dropbox, and see if the files outside diseapear, (as some of your contributors said they did), and either way, spend a wasted anxious evening for no good reason trying to get everything back where it started, without loosing anything.  I wish I had said 'NO'!

Even if I do get everything untangled and back where it should be, goodness knows how I stop Dropbox messing everything up again without giving me an option, and then there is the worry of what will get messed up when I try to remove Dropbox from my apps?

Thank you for any help to avert disaster.

1 Reply 1

Re: Dropbox- files copied or moved??

Rich
Super User II

@GillianL wrote:

Hi, I said 'yes' to Dropbox without reading anything first.  Without giving me any options, it immediately started doing something with my files, (and was at it for quite a while).

During the installatin, you answered yes when it asked if you wanted to use the computer backup feature.

Does that mean that the one single copy of each file has been actually moved to within the Dropbox file, and that if that were to be deleated, all my files would just disappear???

If the backup feature was enabled, your Desktop, Documents and Downloads folders would have been moved into the Dropbox folder, with links to those folders left behind in the original location. This gives the appearance that the folders haven't moved, but they have. If you delete them from Dropbox, you'll end up deleting your files.

Presumably then, all the original files, still listed in their old position outside dropbox, are currently just short-cuts to my actual files ...

Basically, yes.

If I have understood this correctly, presumably the solution would be to ...

Follow the link above and turn off the computer backup feature.

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?