cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox files eating up memory on local C: drive

Dropbox files eating up memory on local C: drive

New member | Level 2

Good morning,

I am working with a synced office account and when files are saved to the dropbox shared server, they are also saving to my local C: drive. As a result, I am running out of space! Does anyone know how I can allow dropbox files to save to the online server only and to free up my local disk space?

Thank you!

3 Replies 3

Re: Dropbox files eating up memory on local C: drive

Explorer | Level 3
I believe you can change the sync setting for any individual folder to not include a local copy, and probably for all synced folders. I’m not an expert but I believe this is the case.

Super Collaborator | Level 20

Hi @ian1112,

You can save some space using "Smart Sync", but this is NOT advice to use it. Another alternative could be "Selective Sync", but it will not let access to your "unselected" content. Actually Dropbox doesn't support "save to the online server only and to free up my local disk space" in guaranteed manner. I have made a proposal related to some time ago. You can vote it up, if you want.

Hope this clarifies matter.

New member | Level 2

Okay, thank you both!

Much appreciated!

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?