cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Dropbox files forever syncing

Explorer | Level 4

Hi Dropbox, 

There's 130 give-or-take files which are constantly syncing on my account. It's been going on for over a week now. Some files are photos, and some are empty folders. Viewing the files in Dropbox.com gives the warning that they do not exist. 

I've discovered a work-around where the first file or folder I add in Dropbox will sync, but if I change the name or move that file anywhere else, it will forever sync. 

Our team shares files often so it's esscential to be able to share these. Thanks for helping!

Drianne

20 Replies 20
Highlighted

Re: Dropbox files forever syncing

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @driannealice. Sorry to hear you've been syncing for weeks. 

I need to see the error messages you are getting, the empty folders and the syncing status of your Dropbox desktop you are describing. 

It would also be helpful to let me know the version of Dropbox giving you trouble and if there are any third party apps that might be using the files that report to be syncing?  

You can see the apps running when facing the problem, in your "Start Task Manager" ( on Windows) and the "Activity Monitor" on Mac. 

Thank you for the additional info Drianne. ( What a nice name!

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Hi Fiona, Thanks for helping me out! 

Below are responses to the items you requested. 

1. Error message: Screen Shot 2019-10-21 at 5.30.12 PM.png

2. Loading in my desktop Dropbox app: Screen Shot 2019-10-21 at 5.31.44 PM.png

3. Dropbox version is v83.4.152 

4. Activity Monitor for Dropbox: 

Screen Shot 2019-10-21 at 5.37.53 PM.png

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thank you so much for the screenshots @driannealice.

Did you change the Group on this Team folder maybe? Does this folder exist for you on the web and reports empty locally? 

Fiona

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

No change in people for these files. When I add folders or files the default setting is shared with my team (total of 4 people). 

The folder and file names appear in my Finder window as I'd like them, but for my team members, and on my dropbox.com they do not exist, or the folder is named "Untitled Folder" instead. 

Thanks! 

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

This is interesting and unexpected. They should be seeing exactly what you have shared with them. Can I have screenshot of what the members see please? 

Fiona

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Here is a screenshot of what I'm seeing first, then what my coworker is seeing:

My Dropbox finder: 
Folders with issues are labeled "Opening photos" and "DL" here. If I right-click to view these in Dropbox.com, I'll get the error message they do not exist. 

Screen Shot 2019-10-22 at 10.13.10 AM.png

Co-worker's Dropbox finder:
The same 2 folders appear as "untilted folder". However, right-clicking to view on Dropbox.com does work, and he'll view the folders and images. 

Screen Shot 2019-10-22 at 10.11.55 AM.png

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

After testing this every way that I could, I understand that they most likely have tried to rename the folder (maybe accidentally double clicked on the name of the folders locally or online) and simply saved it without adding a name. System would save it like that. 

Please note that renaming a shared folder does not sync for the members. You can read about this here. They just need to rename the folder again to "Opening photos" and "DL". 

They should also be able to see the event of renaming the folders in their events. Unfortunately I don't have view of account details to help you locate the events myself, but our team could. Contact them at https://www.dropbox.com/support, if you need help finding the events. 

If it was a syncing issue and not a rename, the problem would also sync on your end. 

I hope this clarifies things. 

Fiona

Highlighted

Files forever syncing

Explorer | Level 4

Hi Dropbox,

I talked to the community but still not working... but I'm still having trouble. I don't believe it's an issue with naming files, since this hasn't been a problem before. I've done my best below to describe the different scenarios of what's happeneing between my Finder, and the Dropbox.com with these "forever-syncing" files. 

Scenario A)

I use Finder to add/organzie my Dropbox. In Finder I'll add a new folder which immedietly allows me to name the folder. After I rename the folder to "Folder" and press enter, the blue sync icon appear and it becomes a forever-syncing folder. On Dropbox.com, this same folder appears NOT as "Folder" but as "untitled folder". 

Another test: If I add a new folder, do NOT rename it, it will be happy and synced with the green icon. But, this is problematic as I would like to rename my folders and see them appear in Dropbox.com as well  

Scenario B)

In Finder, I'll add a file to the blue-syncing named "Folder". I used a JPG for this example. The jpg file will show it is synced with the green icon in finder. Good but—

When I "Click to view on dropbox.com" the error message says the file does not exist. 
Also, when I use the "copy dropbox link" and share it, the file comes up on Dropbox.com as a "File is uploading..." message. 
When I go straight into dropbox.com without using Finder as a vehicle to get there, the file IS there and is viewable. But, again the folders are misnammed. 

Did another test: When I move the synced jpg file from its first folder to any other, it turns into a forever-syncing file with the blue icon. 
When I view this move on Dropbox.com it is NOT reflected... it still shows the file in it's original folder. 

Thank you! 

Highlighted

Re: Files forever syncing

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi again @driannealice

Sorry to hear you still don't have a solution or an explanation about what is going on. I tried to explain how this can be done in our previous thread but can definitely assist further. Have you created a ticket with support for us to see more details regarding the account? 

If not, I can create one for you. 

Let me know. 

Fiona

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?