cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out how our Community members are using Dropbox here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Security file properties

Highlighted

Re: Dropbox changing windows file permissions upon sync

Explorer | Level 4

I am also having this issue. Have been using this system for many years and over the last few months have been struggling to work out why the permissions have suddenly been failing. Would also like to put my vote in for Dropbox to deal with this issue.

Highlighted

Re: Dropbox files no longer inherit folder permissions

Explorer | Level 4

will be doing the same.

Highlighted

Re: Dropbox files not inheriting NTFS sharing permissions

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

this is catastrophic for us as well. bad move dropbox!

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

@volfman and @darrenkras take a look at my email template from earlier in this thread (and the thread in general), suggest you contact Dropbox support to voice your frustration.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

@pwc  I already have a ticket open. 

Highlighted

Collaborator | Level 10

@Walter wrote:

Hi @SLWelsh - welcome to the Dropbox Community!

What you notice is now expected as we implemented a fix in a new version of the Dropbox desktop application that ensures both consistent folder icons and file/folder permissions for items residing within the Dropbox folder.

If you have files or folders in the Dropbox folder with custom permissions (such as custom POSIX permissions or BSD flags), these may be removed to ensure the file syncs to other devices without any issues.  

I hope this clears things up and we're always a post away if you have any additional questions. 

Please elaborate:

1) As of what specific version was this change made, and why wasn't it highlighted in the release notes?

2) What else do you consider a "custom" permission? You mentioned two things, both outside of the Windows realm, POSIX and BSD, that wouldn't be in play for us, so I'd like to know all the possible scenarious you mean.

3) "May" be removed?  Explain further.

What we've been seeing lately in isolated cases, definitely with files that have synced recently from one site to another, is users (in the Security permissions list of a given file in Properties) being removed and the list merely being left with SYSTEM and Administrators, or similar. We then need to fix this manually and hope it doesn't happen again.

I don't want to open a case. I just want to see this fully documented.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Fantastic!! This solved my issues. Now it keeps my file permissions

Highlighted

Collaborator | Level 10

@Walter, dealing with this isn't fun. We need some answers. Do you have them?

Update: I found the master thread for this stupid issue, so I'll be continuing there:

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Files-folders/Dropbox-files-no-longer-inherit-folder-permissions/td-...

Highlighted

Collaborator | Level 10

Glad I finally found the "master" thread on this dingbat feature, which is not only poorly conceived but not communicated, a deadly combination.

Incidentally, the issue also happens if you create the file on the web, once it syncs down. You don't even need two machines to reproduce the problem.

I'll submit the complaint, implement the workaround, and hope for the best with a future release.

Highlighted

Security file properties

Explorer | Level 3

When you modify a file the security properties change to others and are not respected, how can I fix this?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?