cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox files no longer inherit folder permissions

Dropbox files no longer inherit folder permissions

rjwb
Helpful | Level 7

Within my Dropbox folder, I have sub-folders with different Windows ACL permissions. Up until recently, whenever Dropbox synced a file it inherited its folder permissions perfectly.

Now it no longer does. It overrides the folder permissions and sets all file permissions to something completely different - Full Control for admins and Read/Read & Execute for users.

Is there any way to get back to the old days - when Dropbox respected the inheritance of ACL permissions to all files in each folder?

105 Replies 105

Brian1
Collaborator | Level 10

Did anybody ever end up getting more information from Advanced Support in the last few weeks?

Meanwhile, there's a new version (92.4.382) to test and be disappointed by in all likelihood.

Bradbox99
Explorer | Level 3

We still have the same issue as well. Support only told us to uninstall and re-install. Not much of a support team.

Still waiting for a solution Dropbox.....

Brian1
Collaborator | Level 10

Latest word from support (this week) is that the engineering team is still looking into it, but in the meantime, they suggested the .dropbox.cache folder workaround discussed above.

Reading into that, I take it that they're admitting that something is going to be done about this feature/bug sooner or later.

dragoner
Helpful | Level 5

The simple answer would be to roll back to the previous version that had was working perfectly well. Can picture them now, hanging off the fans throwing bananas at each other.

JCubio
New member | Level 2

For those who use dropbox in windows server,

Try adding the "authenticated user" in the ".dropbox.cache" folder. 

I used this as a work-around, it is working fine so far. 

Waiting for users to complain again. LOL

dragoner
Helpful | Level 5

Hey JCubio,

Isn't that just the same as what was previously suggested and adding "Users" or "domain users"... or whatever?

John L.2
Dropbox Staff

Hi all,

Thanks for your reports.  We've posted a beta build which attempts to fix this issue.  Let us know if you continue to see issues.

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-desktop-client-builds/Beta-Build-94-3-371/m-p/403219#M5817

Thanks!

--J

Akena
New member | Level 2

I updated software with the following patch.  Files are now inheriting proper permissions correctly, as before.

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-desktop-client-builds/Beta-Build-94-3-371/td-p/403219

I very much appreciate that DropBox created a solution.  The timeline left a lot to be desired but I'm glad we got a fix.

Brian1
Collaborator | Level 10

Thanks for testing (I hadn't yet had the opportunity).

I will later today though with the just-released stable build 94.4.384.

Update: That stable build doesn't seem to have the feature. I guess they're keeping it only in the betas for now, despite the misleading versioning.

Yet, this is in the release notes for it:

"Fixed an issue where newly added or edited files were not reinheriting permissions of their parent folders on Windows"

Update 2: Disregard the above. I apparently downloaded too early using the "offline" link. Despite having a file called "Dropbox 94.4.384 Offline Installer.exe," it actually installed v93, which I didn't notice until today. Testing with the actual v94 does show that the permissions problem is solved.

KiwiMark
Explorer | Level 4

It's been 4 months. It would be interesting to hear how many have moved to other platforms by now. I only have one client affected - they have moved to OneDrive.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

rjwb Helpful | Level 7
    dragoner Helpful | Level 5
    KiwiMark Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?