cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox files no longer inherit folder permissions

Dropbox files no longer inherit folder permissions

rjwb
Helpful | Level 7

Within my Dropbox folder, I have sub-folders with different Windows ACL permissions. Up until recently, whenever Dropbox synced a file it inherited its folder permissions perfectly.

Now it no longer does. It overrides the folder permissions and sets all file permissions to something completely different - Full Control for admins and Read/Read & Execute for users.

Is there any way to get back to the old days - when Dropbox respected the inheritance of ACL permissions to all files in each folder?

105 Replies 105

melodramatic
Explorer | Level 4

I moved to OneDrive quite some time ago. Ended up being a fairly easy solution.

rjwb
Helpful | Level 7

Same here - OneDrive provides the same functionality for what we need.

Cons - we still haven't entirely worked out what it does when 2 people inadvertently work on the same file at the same time. At least with Dropbox you got a clear 'conflicted copy'

Pros - seems much more stable running on a server using AlwaysUp, whereas Dropbox required periodic restarts, even after applying the various tweaks recommended in the AlwaysUp website

dragoner
Helpful | Level 5

Hi rjwb,

How does Onedrive go about recovering the entire library back to a point in time if required, like in the event of a cryptolocker?

When I checked it out a couple years ago it didnt have that functionality, in fact all it allowed was the recovery of previous versions of MS Office docs - not the entire library.

KiwiMark
Explorer | Level 4

@dragoner - your question belogs to another thread. This thread is about the changes to inheritable folder permissions.

dragoner
Helpful | Level 5

The thread also discusses the lack of support from Dropbox, and various discussion on alternatives available to users. Best just to keep it all in the one area – while we’re on the topic

rjwb
Helpful | Level 7

@dragoner

can't really advise on that as we use OneDrive for syncing, not for backup. For backup, we have always used Carbonite.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

rjwb Helpful | Level 7
    dragoner Helpful | Level 5
    KiwiMark Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?