cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox folder in two locations

Dropbox folder in two locations

barrymcw
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I have a Dropbox folder on my laptop, which is my default Dropbox location. 

My full folder is over 1TB, so the majority of it is not synced locally. I spend more time than I'd like managing the Smart Sync settings, making some folders local, others online-only, as I'm always a bit low on disk space.

If I have an external HD, can I sync it as a "second location" of my Dropbox folder. I want it to be identical to my current Dropbox folder, but with different Smart Sync settings. 

This feels like something I should be able to figure out, but I'm just not getting there. Any ideas?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@barrymcw wrote:

If I have an external HD, can I sync it as a "second location" of my Dropbox folder. I want it to be identical to my current Dropbox folder, but with different Smart Sync settings. 

That's not possible. Dropbox will only sync to a single Dropbox folder. You can move the folder to another location (external drives are NOT recommended), but you can't split it across two separate locations.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@barrymcw wrote:

That's not possible. Dropbox will only sync to a single Dropbox folder. You can move the folder to another location (external drives are NOT recommended), but you can't split it across two separate locations.

barrymcw
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Thanks for the response. Bummer, but I understand. 

Mirabilis
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

What is a "sign Dropbox folder"?

I want to be sure that I can set different sync settings for different computers.  I would like to use one computer to contain the local files and the other ones (iPad, iPhone and desktop) to be online only.  Is this possible?

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Mirabilis wrote:

I would like to use one computer to contain the local files and the other ones (iPad, iPhone and desktop) to be online only.  Is this possible?

Yes.

And it was a typo of "single" which has been corrected.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    Mirabilis New member | Level 2
    barrymcw Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?