cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out how our Community members are using Dropbox here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox folder inside dropbox and keeps syncing indefinely

Highlighted

Dropbox folder inside dropbox and keeps syncing indefinely

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hello I have an issue with my dropbox for sometime now.

some months ago i have moved my local dropbox folder to another folder and disc (an external disc) in order to remain it there without using a space in main hdd. but for some reason it didnt move the dropbox folder there.

So i have created a dropbox folder manually and resynced the files to there.

But unfortunately this caused a terrible bug on my dropbox and my dropbox keeps adding-syncing files into dropbox again and again until the remaining space is filled and after that gives error of no space to sync files anymore.

So basically i cant use the dropbox anymore due this bug - glitch.

I have keep deleting the dropbox folder again and again for manytimes but it still keeps appearing again and again. Tried on app, tried on website tried on phone no matter what i do i keep getting the same issue now without any way to solve it. can u help me for it please? i had to delete so many files due to this (before i figuring out the problem i had to delete other files that excluded from dropbox/dropbox folder.

Is there anyone having this issue before? for more clarify : its like

D:\Dropbox\Dropbox\files.....

so the dropbox keeps cloning the files inside the dropbox inside the dropbox indefinely. removing deleting wont work at all kept the stop syncing and removing it wont solve the problem because for some reason it still remains in the internet (the dropbox/dropbox folders) even deleted from the files on the dropbox website for most basic version of it. still it gets the sync again...

6 Replies 6
Highlighted

Re: Dropbox folder inside dropbox and keeps syncing indefinely

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi there @Esaliano, I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with this!

It seems like perhaps when you reconnected to the Dropbox folder, you may have selected the Dropbox folder itself rather than the parent folder.

For example, if you have a Dropbox folder under D:\Dropbox, to reconnect to that folder you would need to select D:\ when setting up the app.

At this point, I would suggest unlinking the desktop app on your computer and sorting out the Dropbox folder online to remove all the duplicate subfolders and delete the local Dropbox folder.

Then, you can sign back into the desktop app and choose the location for the folder as D:\ to create a new Dropbox folder, and allow the app the sync the data again.

Let me know if this helps!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2
same problem I'm uninstalling and redoing everything
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for joining us here @Joe Malick!

If you're still having trouble after trying that, please don't hesitate to give me a nudge here. I'd be happy to help out!

Daphne

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Thats the problem Daphne, i keep desyncing the dropbox from everydevice and delete it via website (Dropbox.com) in order to delete it entirely - assumed the dropbox com shows the original cloud file to me. - and after that tried to recon the dropbox on my laptop...

DANG the fookin dropbox/dropbox appears again and the keep syncing inside untile the filled the space. i even tried the upgrade my plan but no go it keeps forcing the file until the space is filled. 

so i am not - cant use the drop box anymore. Sadly...

guess until this one solved i have to force my files into other cloud services.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

like i said it wont work. 

problem is that i have lost almost years of collection because of this. (had to delete it. ) but still no solution. problem is that my details where its stored in dropbox servers. they re not syncing with me (THAT I DELETE THE DROPBOX FOLDER) so i can keep continue. it just ignore my command of - delete - request. 

after deleting the dropbox this happens. 

Screenshot_4.jpg

dropbox is the same as any other cloud systems afterall... you can still lose your datas just like any other devices... sad.

dropboxdropbox.jpg

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @Esaliano, thanks for getting back to us. 

Have you tried carrying out an advanced reinstall? Maybe that will do the trick.

If you're on a Basic (free) account though, due to the three device limit, you'll have to make sure that you've got less than three devices connected to proceed.

Let us know how it goes, cheers!

Lusil

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?