cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox folder not syncing on my desktop app

Dropbox folder not syncing on my desktop app

Explorer | Level 3

Dropbox folder is shared with my personal dropbox. This was working fine. But in the last few days, the folder on my personal dropbox is no longer syncing. There is no listed sync error. But when I check online, files are not being updated to my desktop (on my personal dropbox acct.) Note, this has started happening in the past week or few days. The files in the shared folder were updated (as viewed online) but were not updated on my personal desktop acct. Note also, I have my personal dropbox on several machines (phone, desktop, laptops), none are updating. Note, further, there have been updates on Win10 recently. Would this be a cause to the sync issue. Also note, there is no indication on my desktop app that there's a problem with sync. It's shows a green check mark and "up to date." When I check online, however there are files that are not being downloaded to my machine.

6 Replies 6

Re: Dropbox folder not syncing on my desktop app

Dropboxer

Hey @Swanson000; thanks for posting on our Community!

I'm not sure if this the issue here, but could it be that the files you see online contain an incompatible character in their names?  

If that's not the case, are you sure you're looking at the same account on all devices? 

Any additional information is more than welcome!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3
Walter, thank you for replying. I checked. This is happening to ALL files in the folder. This appears to have started on or after Dec 4. I don't see any incompatible character on any of the files. But the sync to the folder on my personal dropbox has simply stopped working altogether. I show "up to date" in green on dropbox banner on my machine.

Explorer | Level 3

Update. The issue persists. I have uninstalled dropbox on my desktop and reinstalled it. But the issue is the same. Files in the folder after Dec 2 do not show up in my desktop dropbox application.

Explorer | Level 3

Does anyone know if there is a dropbox utility program that I can run on the folder in question to check for illegal characters? There are many files in this folder and it occurred to me that may be the problem.

HELP!! My issue with folder syncing is UNRESOLVED.

Explorer | Level 3
Dropbox folder is shared with my personal dropbox. This was working fine previous but since Dec 4, the folder on my personal dropbox is no longer syncing. There is no listed sync error. But when I check online, files are not being updated to my desktop (on my personal dropbox acct.) 1) This started on or about Dec 4. 2) There are many files in this folder, NONE are syncing since Dec 4. I have several personal computers/cellphones on my home acct, NONE are updating this shared dropbox folder. 3) I uninstalled and then re-installed dropbox on my desktop. No change. The shared folder in question did NOT sync, did not update. 4) I found a link to some dropbox utility program that supposedly would find dropbox files with illegal characters. I tried running it. It gave no feedback except for an notification that it was slowing my browser. I let it run for a while but it only caused my browser to hang up. I had to force my browser to close. 5) There are many files in this folder and they change routinely. 6) The LAST entry (by time stamp) for this shared folder that I show on my personal computer is named: Untitled.paper (this is dated Dec 3). When I check dropbox online, this file has a deleted status. COULD THIS BE THE CULPRIT? If so, what do I need to do? No files were synced to my desktop after that point. 7) Note, all the files in this folder are .pdf except for this one. This untitled.paper appears to be a Dropbox Paper doc. My understanding is that folder in question should not have a dropbox paper doc. Is there a procedure where I cancel the SHARE on the folder and then place the SHARE back on the folder? I'm trying to avoid impacting the other users of the team so I don't want to try just anything. PLEASE HELP!

Re: HELP!! My issue with folder syncing is UNRESOLVED.

Explorer | Level 3
I believe my issue with sync is now resolved: I removed the share on the folder in question. Then a put a new share on the same folder. The sync started up and looks good. There is just one remaining issue: I have a NEW folder on my personal dropbox that syncs to the folder in on the team dropbox. But I also have the old "broken" folder on my personal dropbox. I don't want to delete as it may possibly then delete files online (which I don't want it to do.) What I did do was "hide" the "broken" folder. Can I safely delete this folder? Does anyone know?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?