cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Dropbox for automated backup of hard drive

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I need a consistent backup of my hard drive online.

Is there a way to automate a sync of the hard drive so that the drop box backs it up, say, each night?

I need to keep the working files on my computer (lots of prelinked files) but I want everything to be copied to drop box automatically. Working from dropbox and syncing files to my hard drive is not viable.

Thanks!

1 Reply 1
Highlighted

Re: Dropbox for automated backup of hard drive

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey there @wrecka-d,

Making a back up of your hard drive files isn’t a feature currently available with Dropbox. The desktop app is only able to sync the files within the Dropbox folder itself and it’s unable to read and sync any other folder existing outside of it.

Perhaps a work around for this could be to have the files you want backed up within the Dropbox folder and create a shortcut link to the file in the original location. However, I’m not sure how viable this would be if you already have a lot of files that are being linked to from other locations as it would require some reshuffling I’d assume.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions - Cheers!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?