cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox forced me to upgrade to a new plan but doesnt offer smart sync for Linux

Dropbox forced me to upgrade to a new plan but doesnt offer smart sync for Linux

Helpful | Level 6

I use dropbox on Linux. My dropbox is currently synching fine. Yesterday I was sent an email from Dropbox mentioning I have no choice but to move to a new plan that costs me more but offers more features. One main festure advertised was SMart Sync capability.

I quite didnt like the idea of being forced to upgrade but I went on with it assuming I had smart Sync.

I just discovered that Dropbox has completely neglected integrating smart sync to the linux client.

I would like to know from Dropbox whether this feature would be integrated soon.

If you are not from Dropbox and do not know the answer to this question, please refrain from answering.

Answers such as "Dropbox does not disclose future plans" are considered not helpful.

Thakns.

8 Replies 8

Re: Dropbox forced me to upgrade to a new plan but doesnt offer smart sync for Linux

Dropboxer
Hey there @DavidParker, thanks for posting your query on the Community. 

The team is constantly working on further improvements, so, although there isn’t a timeline to share yet, I do understand how important this is for you though and have made sure to pass your comments along to the dev team.

I also understand that this may not be the ideal response you were looking for, but if you have any other questions or you’d like any further assistance with this, please don’t hesitate to get back to me. 

Thank you in advance!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Helpful | Level 6

I am not happy with your beautifully crafted but useless reply. I posted this question in search of a solution. Really. I want ot stay with Dropbox. I loved using it. I still do.

However, there are other swiss companies such as pCcloud offerign better features, client side encryption for Linux lovers. Does Drobox really want the Linux community gone?

If Dropbox is forcing Linux users to upgrade for newer features, I would argue that those features should be available. So why do you force users PAY for a service that they cannot obtain?

How is that fair?

Trying to obtain an answer on the community

Helpful | Level 6

Hi,

I am trying to ask a question here on the dropbox forum.

https:confused face:/www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Syncing-and-uploads/Dropbox-forced-me-to-upgrade-to-a-new-plan-but-doe...

I cannot help but notice the response that was offered by the Dropbox agent is extremely unfair. Is there a way to escallate my question to a higher authority?

Helpful | Level 5

I completely agree. Looks like Dropbox is neglecting Linux users for some time. Last year we had to bizarre drop of support for many major file systems. Now, they use a feature not supported on Linux in an ad to justify their price increasing. Like "Hey everyone, look how this is nice. Except you back there using Linux, you are getting nothing. Just the non-asked space increasing."

I feel like Dropbox doesn't want me as a user anymore. I will be ready for the day when they completely drop support for Linux.

Re: Trying to obtain an answer on the community

Super User II

I've passed it on for you @DavidParker - note that I do not work for Dropbox, however. 

What I would say though is that actually the reply isnt unfair - its an accurate answer from Dropbox's standpoint. It just is not what you want to hear. 

Dropbox currently do not have any support for those features on Linux and as a company do not ever release roadmaps of new features until they launch or are just about to launch. So nobody here would know if such a feature was about to drop until it actually did.

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Helpful | Level 6

I hope you read my question. If you did, you would know im not interested in the openions on powerless Super Users like you. This is not stackoverflow. We are customers. We aks for what we want. If we dont get it, its simple. We move. There are other platforms. Im just highliting the unfairness. As a dropbox bootlicker, I wont expect you to undertand why forcing a customer to@Mark pay for a service the customer is not entitled to use is unfair. You are suppsoed to learn it from school.

Super User II

You are also supposed to learn some manners at school @DavidParker.

Sorry you are not happy with the responses given. But they are factual. Nobody is forcing you to pay for anything. As you said thankfully its a free market. If you are not happy take your money elsewhere. Who knows the Dropbox logic - it could be they are actually wanting to force Linux users out. Who knows. 

For info you can close and cancel accounts by following this article.

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

New member | Level 2
I encountered similar issue. Dropbox forced me to upgrade when I tried to log in on my mobile. If not, I will not be allowed to sign in. Could someone explain why?
Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?