cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox has deleted ALL my computer files!!

Dropbox has deleted ALL my computer files!!

Cecileutk
New member | Level 2

Dropbox has deleted all my files...

I've managed to restore some of my music files, but far away from all.

All my animation projects and photos are all gone...

What the **** is going on!?

Please help, I'm literally crying!

9 Replies 9

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Cecileutk, I'm sorry to hear about the situation!

Just so that I can have a better understanding of the issue here, can you let me know what actions you took before this happened?

Is it possible that you enabled the computer backup when installing the desktop app, for example?

If you can walk me through the actions you took before this happened, this will be very helpful in knowing how to assist further.

Let me know - thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Cecileutk
New member | Level 2

Hi,

Thanks.

I don't think I did, never saw it as an option.

But can dropbox just delete everything like that?

I didn't have enough space and it just started syncing, so I stopped syncing. I deleted my desktop in Dropbox and restored whatever was synced it to the computer, and everything dissapeard else dissapeard.

All the green ticked folders have no items, just the folders but nothing in them. The folders with a blue badge with two white arrows are the only ones with items in it...

And those synced folders, are abselutely nothing compared to whats deleted.

Hope you can help..

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for getting back to me here @Cecileutk!

It sounds like you might have indeed enabled the backup, was the Desktop folder within a folder called "My PC/Mac (device name)"?

If so, then the Desktop folder will have been syncing with Dropbox which means that when you deleted the files from the Desktop folder in Dropbox, it was deleted from your actual desktop folder.

However, you should be able to restore these files from your Recycling/Trash bin on your computer.

Just to clarify, when you mentioned that you stopped syncing, did you pause sync with the steps outlined here, or use another method like uninstalling the app?

If you simply paused the sync of the app then I I would suggest to disable the backup feature with the steps outlined at the bottom of this article to prevent the folders being backed up again.

Let me know if this helps!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Olgacd
New member | Level 2

Dropbox has deleted all the files in my computer.  I uninstalled it thinking I would recover them and that are all f****g gone!

How can Dropbox mess about my personal computer?  I am furious!!!

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Hi @Olgacd, I'm understand your concern over your missing files. 

Are they visible on the Dropbox site? Have you tried to restore them from the deleted files page?

It might also be possible to recover the files from the local machine from the recycle bin, or using a third party app or service to do so.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

rtstrong
Explorer | Level 3

In June of this year, I tried to send a video to a seller showing that their product would not pair with my iPad using Dropbox but it said that my Dropbox was full. 

I tried to delete files but could not so I deleted the Dropbox app from my laptop – message said that NO FILES would be deleted from my laptop. 

BUT ALL my iCloud files WERE DELETED !!!!

I contacted Apple (2 hours on phone) but they said that they could not recover my iCloud files. 

I then paid for an upgrade to Dropbox so I could “chat”, but got no help there either. 

I then contact a firm (PC Tech SOLUTIONS) requesting their assistance. 

I mailed the internal SSD (2TB) along with a 4TB external HD to them. 

After many months, I received both back and am still in the process of recovering my data.  So far, it is successful. 

As mentioned earlier, when I went to delete the Dropbox app from my laptop I received a message the no files would be deleted. 

However, ALL of my iCloud files WERE DELETED and had I used less than half of the 2TB capacity all the files were still on the SSD, but I had to "PAY" a tech service to recover them.  

HOWEVER, I had to pay $784.00 to PC Tech Solutions for that recovery. 

Since Dropbox caused ALL of this problem, I am requesting that you reimburse me for that expense. 

My email address is:  [Removed as per Community Guidelines]

Please mail a check for the reimbusement to this cost to:

[Removed as per Community Guidelines]

rtstrong
Explorer | Level 3

I'm still waiting for Dropbox to reply.  

They deleted all my files, but don't help out at all!!!!

rtstrong
Explorer | Level 3

Why won't you reply?

You cost me to lose ALL my iCloud files and I had to pay $784.00 to recover them.

ALL becasue when I deleted the Dropbox app and it said "you will not lose any file" ALL my iCloud file were deleted and Apple could not recover them.  

Please contact me and let me know how you are going to assist me with this great LOSS!!!

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hey @rtstrong

Since this is a billing request, I’d suggest contacting our support team directly, so that they can look into this. You can log a ticket with them via this page (please also send us your ticket number afterwards).

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Nancy Dropbox Staff
    rtstrong Explorer | Level 3
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?