cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox has disappeared from Windows File Explorer

Dropbox has disappeared from Windows File Explorer

Picky1
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Running Windows 10 home edition version 2004. Dropbox always used to appear in the File Explorer alongside my PC, Google Drive and One Drive. It has now disappeared and can only be accessed by clicking the dropbox icon on the taskbar, which opens dropbox in it's own File Explorer window. Is there a way of adding it back to the main file exploer, as it's a real pain having to look for files accrosstwo seperate windows

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @Picky1!

It looks like you have the navigation panel disabled, where you would see your quick access options.

When you open the File Explorer, from along the top please select "View". Underneath you should see the option "Navigation pane" to the far left, which you will need to click.

Then make sure the menu option has the option "Navigation pane" ticked. That should allow you to see your quick access options.

Let me know if that does the trick!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi there @Picky1, I'd be happy to help look into this with you. 

I'll just need a few more details, such as:

• Do you remember seeing the Dropbox folder as part of your quick access list?
  • Are you running the latest version of the desktop app?
  • Do you have any pending updates on your computer?

Let me know what you find, cheers!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Picky1
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi. Thanks for your reply. 

1. I can't remember, but it may have been, though I have tried to add it since it has changed following a Microsoft update, and the 'pin to quick access' button is greyed out

2. I am running 106.4.36.8

3. no

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Picky1; how are you today?

I'm not quite sure what could be causing your Dropbox folder to not show up there since the app is running on your machine; have you perhaps tried to re-install the desktop app recently? 

Also, could you send us a screenshot of the greyed out button you mentioned? 

Thanks! 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Picky1
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

The first pic is the first window that appears when I click File Explorer. Has got hardly any of the folders listed, and no matter how I try to unpin it, it still has '3D Objects' which is of no use to me.

The second one is after navigating through the C drive via users to get to a list which has most of my folders in including Dropbox. But highlighting the Dropbox folder and trying to click 'pin to quick access' has no effect. 

Screenshot (1).pngScreenshot (2).png

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the additional information and screenshots, @Picky1

Although I can't provide much input for "3D Objects", since you're also having trouble unpinning it from your File Explorer, could you let me know if you have admin permissions?

Keep us posted!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Picky1
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I can confirm that my account has administrator privileges. I presume from your comments, that I should be able to see Dropbox when I open File explorer if i've pinned it to quick access, and that there is something wrong with what i'm seeing at the moment?

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @Picky1!

It looks like you have the navigation panel disabled, where you would see your quick access options.

When you open the File Explorer, from along the top please select "View". Underneath you should see the option "Navigation pane" to the far left, which you will need to click.

Then make sure the menu option has the option "Navigation pane" ticked. That should allow you to see your quick access options.

Let me know if that does the trick!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Picky1
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

OMG Daphne. I feel a bit of a fool but that is the fix. I'm not sure how it was turned off in the first place, but i'm pleased you spotted the error. Thanks!

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

I'm glad to hear that worked @Picky1!

I'm just a post away if you need anything else. 😁

Hope you have a wonderful rest of your week!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?