cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We love to hear how every person gets the most from Dropbox, and it seems everyone has a slightly different use for it - tell us yours here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox has synch all my folders and documents but they all have been deleted from my computer

Dropbox has synch all my folders and documents but they all have been deleted from my computer

Maxime_Walt
Explorer | Level 3

Hello everyone,

I downloaded Dropbox application today to get some shared work files. I did the installation as recommended by dropbox, only by clicking "yes" or "continue" through the process. Dropbox tried to synch all my documents and folders. It did stop because of the lack of space.

I tried to select that I only wanted to have the work shared files on my PC documents and that I did not want Dropbox to synch and download all my files. It didn't need this feature. As it did not work, I deleted Dropbox application.

BUT, it deleted all my documents and files. For example, my PhD thesis had been deleted.... I can't retrieve my files and documents and I begin to stress about that.

I found those on the deleted files of my online dropbox account but I'll have to pay to retrieve them (which is not acceptable).

Please, someone could help me ?

Maxime Walt

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Dropbox has synch all my folders and documents but they all have been deleted from my computer

Hannah
Dropboxer
Thanks for the update, Maxime. 

You should be able to turn off the backup feature, by following the steps here

And as for the deleted files, can you see them in your deleted files page? If so, you should be able to restore them on your end.

Do you have enough space to do so?

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Re: Dropbox has synch all my folders and documents but they all have been deleted from my computer

Hannah
Dropboxer
Hey @Maxime_Walt, welcome to the Dropbox Community!

It sounds like you enabled the computer backup feature on your Dropbox application.

Deleting your desktop files from Dropbox would indeed delete them from your computer as well, because of this.

Are you still having trouble restoring the files?

Would you like me to reach out to you via email, to see what we can do?

Let me know.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Maxime_Walt
Explorer | Level 3
Dear @Hannah,

It could be something like that.

Is there any option to retrieve my files ? As I still have troubles retrieving them..

How can I change this option to only use Dropbox to have access to shared files ?

Can you reach me by email to see what we can do ?

Many thanks

Maxime Walt

Hannah
Dropboxer
Thanks for the update, Maxime. 

You should be able to turn off the backup feature, by following the steps here

And as for the deleted files, can you see them in your deleted files page? If so, you should be able to restore them on your end.

Do you have enough space to do so?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

View solution in original post

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropboxer
    Maxime_Walt Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?