cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox in browser will not download over VPN

Highlighted

Dropbox in browser will not download over VPN

Helpful | Level 6

I’m running Nord VPN on Windows 10. When it’s connected, Dropbox (in a browser) will not allow me to download any files. Disconnecting the VPN solves this problem.

My reason for using the VPN is for privacy and security. Having to go off the VPN when I need to download files is quite an annoyance.

Is anyone else having this issue? Is there a solution?

Thanks!

5 Replies 5
Highlighted

Re: Dropbox in browser will not download over VPN

Dropboxer

Hello there @Sereby, thanks for checking in with us. 

Out of curiosity, are you able to whitelist Dropbox and permit to access it normally?

Keep me posted!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6
Thanks for replying! Whitelisting would require me to purchase a dedicated IP. I can attempt it, but I’m hesitant because of the fact that my email address will be associated with it - defeats the purpose of even using the VPN.
Highlighted

Dropboxer

Since it sounds like the VPN is blocking downloads from our website, could you also check your DNS settings? 

Lusil

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

When Nord is connected it uses 103.86.99.99 / 103.86.96.96

But, I'm not sure if that changes each time Nord starts up and connects. The VPN does have a feature to specify a single custom DNS address - would that help? If so, what should it be set to?

Highlighted

Dropboxer

What might do the trick is adjusting your browser's default DNS settings. 

I had a quick look around the web and, if you're using Chrome, you can have a look at this article.

If this doesn't work for you, I'd recommend looking on the web as well, as you'll have a better picture from your end. 

In any case, if you have any other questions, don't hesitate to get back to us. Thanks!

Lusil

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?