cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our users can answer all of your questions on files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Dropbox is Dangerous. Dropbox is reverting files to older versions!!

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I have used dropbox for a number of years to sync important data that I have acculmated.

That information is important to the job that I do and helps me be efficient.

So I cannot express enough how ANGRY I am to see that that some files that are needed have reverted to a versions from 5 FREAKING YEARS AGO!!!

"Go to the file version history" you say! I have and its only showing 1 version of each from  5...FREAKING...YEARS...AGO!!!

So I want to know if:

Dropbox has been deliberately overwriting my data?

Has Dropbox completly lost my data?

If Dropbox cannot be trusted with data long term?

Are people better off finding a more robust cloud file storage solution?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Dropbox is Dangerous. Dropbox is reverting files to older versions!!

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @acutedeveloper, thanks for posting on the Community!

Let’s have a look at what we can do to locate these files. First of all, if the Dropbox site is only showing one version of the file from 5 years ago, it means it literally has never changed since then. Dropbox doesn’t delete any files without the user’s input.

If so, then there’s three possibilities here. Either the file you've been editing is in another location, or stored in a completely separate Dropbox account and was edited there, or edited on a computer where the Dropbox desktop app wasn't running or syncing for some reason.

Could you first try searching for the same filename on your Dropbox account online to see if it visible there in more than one area?

Let me know what you find out!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @acutedeveloper, thanks for posting on the Community!

Let’s have a look at what we can do to locate these files. First of all, if the Dropbox site is only showing one version of the file from 5 years ago, it means it literally has never changed since then. Dropbox doesn’t delete any files without the user’s input.

If so, then there’s three possibilities here. Either the file you've been editing is in another location, or stored in a completely separate Dropbox account and was edited there, or edited on a computer where the Dropbox desktop app wasn't running or syncing for some reason.

Could you first try searching for the same filename on your Dropbox account online to see if it visible there in more than one area?

Let me know what you find out!

Jay

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

My Apologies!

Turns out I was looking at a different file!

I think the combination of seeing missing data and the posts by other users saying they had 'actually' experienced that same issue, only added to my personal confirmation bias.

Walking away with tail between legs!

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

No worries, it can happen to any of us, so I understand your reaction for the potential for the loss of data!

Take care and have a great rest of the week. 🙂

Jay

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Polls
Have you been keeping up good habits while working from home?
We've created a working from home cheat sheet to help keep up on those habits, check it out here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?