cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know more about how Community ideas impact Dropbox development? Check it out here

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox is deleting my files!

Dropbox is deleting my files!

brinstaar
Explorer | Level 3

Something strange is going on. Today I've got a notifications that I've removed some files, I opened app from icon and in sync history i can see that random files are being deleted right now. I've quit dropbox, went to web version and restrored deleted files. Though, when I'm starting dropbox app, it startd to delete random files instantly, so I have to quit to stop this and restore files with web interface. What is going on? How can I stop this weird behaviour? 

My dropbox folder is on external drive and i've had a disconnection from usb, it was a hub glitch. It is may be a reason. But I have my laptop restarted to ensure that drive is freshly mounted before I start dropbox app. No luck, still deleting files on start. I've reinstalled dropbox, still the same. How I can fix this?

I'm on M1 apple laptop if that matters.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Dropbox is deleting my files!

Mark
Super User II

The issue is the external drive - this is why they are technically not supported. 

When the drive disconnected your local Dropbox folder is seen as deleted and as such Dropbox is doing what its designed to do... replicating that (i.e. it now has no files so it wipes them). 

The only way I can see to sort this is to unlink Dropbox from your computer, restore everything on the website and then relink and reconnect your external drive and WAIT while it reconfigures/indexs etc. It will say lots it is deleting/adding/removing etc. but should sort itself out eventually. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Mark
Super User II

The issue is the external drive - this is why they are technically not supported. 

When the drive disconnected your local Dropbox folder is seen as deleted and as such Dropbox is doing what its designed to do... replicating that (i.e. it now has no files so it wipes them). 

The only way I can see to sort this is to unlink Dropbox from your computer, restore everything on the website and then relink and reconnect your external drive and WAIT while it reconfigures/indexs etc. It will say lots it is deleting/adding/removing etc. but should sort itself out eventually. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

brinstaar
Explorer | Level 3

No, online files not wiped, they are in the place, when I quit app and restored deleted files.

As for external drive support — I've used it for years without any glitch, though I've got your point, thanks.

Unlinking all devices and reinstalling dropbox helped, thanks!

tcrehm45
Explorer | Level 3

One of my folders completely disappeared from my hard drive while downloading Dropbox today.  I need the files in that folder desperately and do not know how to get the folder back.  I worked with the chat function but they were not able to help me.  HELP!

Walter
Dropboxer
Hey @tcrehm45, sorry to hear about this.

Do you see any signs your missing files in your events page?

This is the place where all uploads, edits, and deletions are normally logged, so it should give you a hint or two.

I hope this helps!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

tcrehm45
Explorer | Level 3

Thank you Walter but they are not there.

Walter
Dropboxer
This means that they never made it to our servers in the first place @tcrehm45

In that case, you may have better luck searching them locally on your device. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

tcrehm45
Explorer | Level 3
Thanks Walter. I finally found out how to find them on my computer but a couple of PDFs are empty. The folder was not on my hard drive where it was initially and it is weird then it wasn’t there after I downloaded Dropbox.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

tcrehm45 Explorer | Level 3
    Walter Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?