cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to hear from you. What do you use Dropbox for?
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Dropbox is downloading tens of thousands of files

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @Scott_Y, welcome to the Dropbox Community. 

Thanks for all the information included in your post, that definitely helps in having a better understanding of the behavior you're experiencing. 

I've followed up with an email to the address associated with your Community profile. 

When you have the chance, check your inbox for my latest message and we'll take it from there. Thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Why is there not an actual answer on this thread?? Having this same issue - i have al 200GB of my data downloaded and synced up on 2 computers, and just today it randomly started doing this on one of them and not the other. What was the solution in the end?

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi there @oliver-pt

Thanks for checking in with us - I'd be more than happy to help look into this. 

As a first step, you can check out if you're have the current stable version of the desktop app (82.4.156) by hovering over the Dropbox icon on your system tray or menu bar. 

If you find that you have the beta version (which you can recognize from xx.3.xx instead of xx.4.xx), it means that you've opted in to Early Releases. In this case, you can uncheck the option from your account's settings online and then reinstall the desktop app.

If that doesn't do the trick for you though, please let me know and I'll make sure to get back to you as soon as possible. Thanks!

Lusil

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

@oliver-pt -- I agree, there is no solution posted here yet, even though the issue is marked "Solved."

I'll add a bit of information here in the hope it may help us collectively determine what the source of the problem is.
- I'm using Windows 7 64-bit, fully updated.
- I updated DB to the latest version (82.4.156), but that did not fix the issue.
- My DB folder contains no files, only symbolic links pointing outside the DB folder. So one interpretation is that DB is attempting to replace those links with the actual files.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

... Clarification: I uninstalled version 82.4.155, verified that the Registry had no left-behind references to DB, and installed 82.4.156.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2
I'm having same issue——Every time I launch Dropbox on my Mac, it starts downloading tens of thousands of files (Like 7,400+) with very slow speed, though no change is made by me. After 3-4 hours, it download 7,400+ files successfully. Then I relaunch Dropbox, it still start download 7,400+ files. This issue occurs in my work Mac, Dropbox version is 82.4.155. I updated Dropbox to the latest version (82.4.156), but that did not fix the issue. However, Dropbox in my home Mac work well, its version is much older.
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @horider, thanks for nudging us on this thread and for the information! Definitely gives a better understanding of the behavior you're seeing. 

I've followed up with a ticket to the email address connected to your Community profile. 

Please check for my message and don't hesitate to get back to me there. 

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Lusil

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

I have this issue as well. Should not be marked as "Solved".

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi there @tonyingram, sorry to hear that you're also having trouble with this.

To ensure that I have a solid understanding of what you're seeing, could you let me know:

• What your Dropbox icon reads when you hover over it in your system tray or menu bar?
  • Have you ensured that you've configured your firewall to work with Dropbox?
  • Have you tried temporarily disabling your antivirus to see if there's a change in behavior by any chance?

Let me know what you find!

Lusil

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Hello Lusil,

Same issue here: I am on Dropbox 85.4.155 for Mac (MacBook Pro on MacOS Mojave).

Every time I startup, it starts to synchronise a random (and high) number of files, even when in fact there would be nothing to synchronise.

My other Mac (iMac on MacOS Sierra), which has the same version (85.4.155) of Dropbox, has no issues at all.

Can you please help?
Thanks,

SF

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?