cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to hear from you. What do you use Dropbox for?
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Dropbox is downloading tens of thousands of files

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @SF76, I'll do my best to help! 

If you're still having trouble, to make sure we're on the same page, could you please send me a screenshot (without any personal info) of what you see when you hover over your menu bar

Keep me posted!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

I have exactly the same issue. It's been going on for weeks that each time dropbox finishes to download 60k+ files, it starts again. It takes days to download during which dropbox will very quickly drain the battery of my Macbok pro. I've repaired permissions, restarted laptop, updated and reinstalled app to no avail. 

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey there @ingo1807, thanks for writing in. 

Since you mention that you experience battery drainage during syncing, I'd recommend checking out this article for some suggestions on how to tackle it. 

I've also found your support interaction that you have with a member of my team and have passed your comments along to them. They'll get back to you via email as soon as they've got more info.

Let me know how it goes!

Lusil

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Hello Lusil,

Sorry, it took me a few days to get back to you.

I am attaching a screenshot of what I see immediateluy after the MacBook boots and I login into my account.

The 4305 files are completely out of any possible realistic scenario 

Thank you,
SF

Dropbox Screenshot 2019-12-03 at 14.56.23.png

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

It's great to hear from you again, @SF76

Out of curiosity, could you please have a look at which files are syncing when you boot your computer by having a quick look through your Dropbox folder? More specifically, could you give me a few examples of file types and if they're shared?

Also, could it be a third party app, like a security app, affecting the syncing process? Could you try temporarily disabling your antivirus and see if that makes a difference?

Let me know of any updates!

Lusil

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Hi, I have same problem. Tried to update to newest version of desktop app but get an older version installed (86.4.146), there´s no way to choose version. Sometimes it says uploading 2899 files, sometimes 5000 files, sometimes 12000 files even tough I´ve only added a hand full of files.

I send dropbox links to clients all the time and they can´t open them, the webpage that opens says "files are uploading" when they try even though the files are marked green on my end. 

/Eric

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @EricStrom, thanks for nudging us on this thread - I'd be more than happy to help!

At first, the latest stable version of the desktop app is 86.4.146, so you don't need to worry that there's an older version installed. 👍 

As for the files that you're having trouble with, could you please let me know a few examples of file types? 

A screenshot (without any personal info) of the error message would also be helpful. 

Keep me posted!

Lusil

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

I contributed to this thread earlier, so I'm back to answer what file types are involved: All my files regardless of file type -- .doc, .docx, .xls, .ppt, .txt, .pdf, .mp3, .dat and more.

In contrast to what EricStrom reported, the number of files which Dropbox is trying to dowload is consistent every time.

Furthermore, I don't get any error message; Dropbox just says it is trying to download thousands of files yet never makes any progress.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi there. I have this exact problem myself. Since using my computer last week, I might have added some ~5-6 files. Now it's trying to download 31k files.

Is there an update on this issue? Seems like it's happening to a lot of people.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @Reems, thanks for nudging us here! 

Out of curiosity, are there any error messages shown when you click on your Dropbox icon next to your computer's clock?

Could you also send me a screenshot (without any personal info) of what you see?

Keep me posted!

Lusil

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?