cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox is downloading tens of thousands of files

Highlighted

Re: Dropbox is downloading tens of thousands of files

Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for the reply Lusil, I´ve got your colleague helping me over chat/mail. We´ve tried the "fix hard links" and "fix permissions" thing without any success so far. 

In respons to Scott_Y below I´ll elaborate: When I installed the new version of dropbox it changed the number of files that were stuck syncing but when I restarted it went back to the exact same amount (5520 files up+down) as before the update and is now stuck there. 

I got the version numbers mixed up earlier, realise 86.4.146 is the latest stable build now, thanks. 

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Thanks for letting me know and sorry to hear that you're still having trouble syncing your files, @EricStrom

I've passed your comments along to the member of my team reviewing this for you and as soon as they have more info, they'll get back to you via email. 

Keep us posted on any updates!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Hi Lusil, sorry for the late reply. I had a chat with someone on the dropbox help chat who suggested that my permissions needed fixing (via command line). Done that and I waited if the indexing/downloading would go any faster. I've turned off antivirus and time machine to minimise other programs accessing the dropbox folder but nothing seemed to work. After 5 days it's only synced 20k out of 80k and each index takes between 30 - 60 seconds. I haven't managed to sync my dropbox fully since beginning of October and I'm getting a little tired to be honest. Any help is appreciated!

Screenshot 2019-12-10 at 15.03.21.jpg

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Thanks for keeping me in the loop, @ingo1807

I understand that this can be frustrating, however, I'm more than happy to work on this with you to try and get it resolved. 

Since you've already checked some initial troubleshooting steps - awesome work by the way! - I also wanted to check with you if you've got more than 300,000 files attempting to sync in your Dropbox folder. 

Although this is a soft limit that depends on the hardware specifications of the computer, having a lot of files in your Dropbox folder can negatively affect the performance of the desktop app. 

Since one way to tackle this is by using selective sync, could you please let me know if you already have done this? Do you see any progress with syncing or does it constantly go up and down?

Keep me posted!

Lusil

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Hi Lusil,

I´ve been using selective sync for a while to keep my local hard drive from getting full. According to "properties" I´ve got 8290 files in 462 folders taking up 272Gb in the dropbox-app connected folder on my computer. I´ve got quite a lot more in the dropbox cloud but I´d be suprised if it was 300 000 files, perhaps you can easily see the amount there. 

When I was on the support chat we used selective sync to remove a couple of folders from my computer while keeping them in the cloud to test the function.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Eric

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

Dear Lusil,
Again, it took me a few days to get back to you, sorry.

I went through the Dropbox folders that were showing as synchronising, and opened several one by one. All files in each of these folder were already up-to-date (i.e., showing the green checkmark). So, I really have no idea of what Dropbox is attempting to update.

Also, on the main Dropbox folder, there were files that were updating, and I am 100% sure that I had not touched those in a while.

Finally, I am on a Mac, and so I have no antivirus installed.

This all really started in one of the most recent Dropbox updates.

Thank you,
Salvatore

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Hi Lusil, 

thanks for getting back to me. Hm yes I've got selective sync on and use it quite heavily (as well as smart sync). I've now de-selected my last big folder which contained large binary files (since they may be problematic) but it's still indexing some 30k files. I feel like if we get over the indexing nightmare it may acutally download files and be done with it.... Now when I click on the selective sync option to select my folders, all folders that are selected have a green tick next to them. That's not the case in finder. What should I do? 

Screenshot 2019-12-13 at 08.39.16.jpg

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

It's exactly the same for me. 

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Thanks for keeping me in the loop, peeps! 

@EricStrom, at this point, I'd recommend continuing via email with the specialized member of the team who's reviewing this matter. They'll be able to better assist as they have access to internal tools that allows them to better investigate for you. 

@SF76 and @ingo1807, I've sent you each a ticket to the email addresses connected to your Community profiles, so that we can have a better look into this together. When you have the chance, please check your inboxes and we'll take it from there. 

Thanks again, everyone!

Lusil

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Moving this issue to email does not help the rest of us who are also suffering this problem.

I have alreadyt noted that someone else asked why this thread is resolved when Dropbox support have not provided a useable answer except to say, contact support.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?