cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox is downloading tens of thousands of files

Highlighted

Re: Dropbox is downloading tens of thousands of files

Helpful | Level 5

(edit: i just read in another threat that the 'solution' is to let the synchronizing run through. But this is NOT a solution that works for me. I am in the middle of a very tight deadline right now and downloading ALL my files on several work computers will take weeks with the sorry internet connection i have to work with right now. This cannot be a fix! Throwing all my files now out of dropbox to only have to synchronize the essentials. hopefully.)

I am also having this problem as of today. 

The files I need to upload I hand drag-and-dropped into the web-interface and that seemed to have worked. Other than that Dropbox is still trying to figure out, how many files it wants to synch. Programs that use the locally saved files show me that they aren't available (though they are, if i hand-select them. Then dropbox marks these files as 'added to dropbox').  Whenever I open the explorer, all my dropbox-folders do not have that "synch"-folder-graphic, but one after the other they get it assigned over and over again (as if dropbox was turned off and then turned on again).

There was a recent windows update (win 10, 64bit). What can i do to get dropbox synching properly agian?

dropbox_xynch.jpg
dropbox_xynch2.jpg

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

I agree with you, but the Dropbox staff did solve the problem for me (on Mac).

In my case, it was a matter of rebuilding the permissions on the Dropbox folder. I am pasting below the procedure that worked for me (please let me repeat: on Mac). This procedure involves sudo commands, which normally are suggested to use at own risk. I will stick to the custom and mention that you will be using this at your own risk 

Good luck

1) Stop the Dropbox desktop application (if needed)

Click on the Dropbox icon
Choose Quit/Stop/Exit

2) Open your Terminal app (Located at /Applications/Utilities/Terminal)

3) Copy and paste the following lines into the Terminal, one at a time, and press RETURN after each one. PLEASE make sure you copy and paste these commands (don't type them by hand), as getting them wrong could cause some harm. You'll be prompted for your computer user's password (not your Dropbox password) after entering the first command. Keep in mind that the password field in the terminal will remain blank as you type your password. After you type it, just press ENTER. You'll know that these instructions complete normally once the initial line of text (called prompt) comes up again:

sudo chflags -R nouchg ~/Dropbox ~/.dropbox

sudo chown "$USER" "$HOME"

sudo chown -R "$USER" ~/Dropbox ~/.dropbox

sudo chmod -RN ~/.dropbox ~/Dropbox

chmod -R u+rw ~/Dropbox ~/.dropbox

Please note that once the prompt displays, the instruction completed the requested task, and is ready for the next command. If the command returns an error, or does not respond after an hour, you may want to try restarting your computer and try these steps again.

4) Restart Dropbox from Applications

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

sf76, thank you for replying. I don't think sudo-commands work with windows (and i don't know enough about my operating system to realize, how to adapt these commands). Thank you for taking the time to answer. (maybe this is helpful for somebody else, though)

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

Hi Annelie,

You are welcome. Yes, sudo commands are Unix commands and this is why they apply to MacOS as well. I have not used Dropbox on Windows for ages and I would not know how to do to obtain a similar result, other than checking the permissions on the folder.

I suggest that you ask directly a question and someone from the Dropbox staff will help you. They have been very helpful to me.

Good luck,

SF

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

I did get help via the chat-support by now. I am not sure yet if my issue is resolved, but "things are happening". I am not posting the solution here, because I am not aware of how general the help was and suggest that others in my position also reach out to chat-support.
For some it might be a 10-minute troubleshooting.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
How is this the “solution”?

This thread is multiple pages long and nowhere does someone from Dropbox say “hey, here’s a list of things you could try that might solve this”
Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

Hello,

No solution has been posted by Dropbox: apparently they prefer that each of us contacts them.

I posted the solution that worked for me on MacOS a few posts above. You can try that if you are on Mac (I always suggest to perform a backup before attempting any sudo command on Unix/MacOS), or contact Dropbox for help if you are on another OS.

Good luck 

Highlighted

New member | Level 2

what a nightmare to upgrade to 2tb and transfer files from my desktop to my dropbox and then setting dropbox in a notebokk without disk space and it is consuming all the space, I didn't click on setting local folder, but still is doing as it pleased. And no answers here to be helped. Very bad, still looking for the solution or really should I get back to old times traveling with external disk? please post a helpfull solution to stop downloading files . Thank you

Highlighted

New member | Level 2

t Actually getting to the point where we are giving up with Dropbox. Got business and personal versions, running at work on PCs and Macs. Huge syncing issues since the last big update where they rolled out the Dropbox App (which seems a bit unneccessary). All we needed Dropbox to do was act as a shared folder across multiple locations and machines - and now it's hurting productivity. Rolling back to network file servers :-(

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Hey everyone, thanks for nudging me in this thread!

At first, thanks for bringing this to our attention. I removed the post that was marked as "solution" to avoid confusion.

In general, if troubleshooting meets a dead-end here, we'll continue the investigation via email for security and privacy purposes, since this is a public platform and account-specific info may be needed. 

Also, @falinad, if your computer's running out of storage, you can use our space-saving features: selective sync and Smart Sync.

Finally, @FilterPhil, I'd be happy to help have a look into this, I'll just need a bit more info.

For example, are you having trouble syncing with the desktop app? Is it stuck or are you seeing any errors? Any screenshots (without any personal details included) would also be very helpful. 

Keep me posted, peeps - Thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?