cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We're back with another cheat sheet to make your 2022 easier than ever! Check out our tips here

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox cache files

Dropbox is searching from the cache files. What can I do?

jazzmeg1
Advanced Collaborator | Level 16

Hello

When searching for specific files, Dropbox sometimes searches from Dropbox cache files.

To prevent this,

1. Is there anything to do as an Admin?

2. Is there anything business members can do?

Thank you

Thank you.

5 Replies 5

Walter
Dropboxer

Hey there @jazzmeg1 - long time no see; how are you today?

As I'm not sure I understand the issue here, could you elaborate on this please?

At first, are you using the desktop application, the mobile one or the website when you notice this?

Also, could you send me a screenshot or two depicting what you describe so as to make sure we're on the same page here? 

Thanks so much Meg!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

jazzmeg1

Hi Walter,
Thank you for your prompt response as always!

This was actually asked by one of my training participants(admin). I don't have further information, but he said cache files are sometimes searched among regular existing files. He doesn't want to see cache files as a search result.

I thought he should delete cache files more regularly(frequently). 

https://help.dropbox.com/ja-jp/installs-integrations/desktop/cache-folder

Is there any way he can set up so that Dropbox won't create cache files?

Any advice will be appreciated. 

Thank you.

Walter
Dropboxer

I'm still not sure about this but if you (or they) are referring to the cache folder of the desktop app indeed, I'd advise to proceed with caution; especially if the desktop app isn't yet reporting 'Up to date' that would signify that you (or they) are fully synced as it would force the syncing process to start anew. 

As you probably know, Dropbox keeps a cache of files hidden in your Dropbox for efficiency and for emergency purposes. You can use the steps mentioned in the Help Center article you quoted to clear the cache if needed indeed. This will not affect or remove the files in your Dropbox folder and will also free up space in your hard drive.

In addition, I wanted to ask if they have hidden files enabled on their computer(s)? This is the only way I can think of where a search would bring results from the cache folder. 

In any case, if you could provide more info in regards to where they're performing this search and one or two screenshots depicting this, as I aforementioned, it would really help pinpoint the matter at hand Meg.

Thanks in advance for any additional information you can provide!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

jazzmeg1

Walter,

Thank you for your explanation.

I gave him Dropbox support information so he can contact them directly.

I came here to seek advice for my further training. It was really helpful.

Thank you again.

Meg

Walter
Dropboxer

Glad I could help Meg!

Let me know if you have any other questions about this and I'll make sure to follow up asap.

Cheers! 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?