cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox wonky after 88.4.172 upgrade

Dropbox is stuck syncing after an update, what can I do?

Shawn B.14
Helpful | Level 6

I have the "Dropbox Plus" subscription and I run the client on 4 computers.

Yesterday (Monday, 13-Jan-2020) I signed onto my desktop (which is always on) and has a full local sync of my dropbox that a number of new files added Saturday had big red Xs on them -- JPEGs I had scanned Saturday and which were in sync to my laptop on Sunday morning.

I checked my other workstation (also always on) and Dropbox wasn't even running.  I launched it, and it pretty immediately ran a "one time update".   Once this completed, it appeared to go into a full-on sync mode, indexing thousands of files and downloading thousands more (my total dropbox footprint is ~17k files, 600 GB of data).  This has been running for 24 hours without making any apparent progress, despite the drive being materially in sync with my first workstation (using BeyondCompare to check).  Plus not enough system activity to indicate any actual indexing or download was taking place.

I paused workstation 2, uninstalled dropbox on workstation 1 and reinstalled it.  Just prior to this, workstation 1 was "stuck" uploading 2 files and downloading 7 files, which it had been on since last night.

Workstation 1 now shows "indexing" for around 8k files and "downloading" for 9k files.  Trouble is, Resource Monitor doesn't show disk activity or network activity for that kind of activity.

What's going on?  I was perfectly in sync as of Saturday morning and over the last 24 hours it's gotten bad.

Oddly, my laptop ("laptop 1") is apparently fine, showing more or less normal sync status as far as I can tell (and is on build 88.4.172).

165 Replies 165

kelly75
New member | Level 2

Hi @Daphne

I did all your recomendations, but the problem of re-syncing all files (even older files) continues.

What else can I try?

Tks.

Joshua5
New member | Level 2

One more person who have same problem. I worry about data loss.

Matt F.16
Collaborator | Level 9

Same problem here on a headless Ubuntu 18.04 server.. I have 1 TB of dropbox data and since the most recent update the Dropbox client eats 100% CPU (one core) and never finishes syncing no matter what I try.

Exis
Helpful | Level 5

Everyone, as @Akos said just leave it running even if it looks stuck in 'Syncing...'. Eventually it will be up to date.

CAGR
Helpful | Level 6

C´mon guys @Dropbox ... What is going on? The thing is stuck at "Syncing" ... THIS IS A BUG, please do kindly fix it.

Thanks in advance

hdmf
Helpful | Level 6

Windows 10 - Same problem here for the last few days.
tried every suggested fix but nothing stops it 'Syncing...' - ridiculous. 

CAGR
Helpful | Level 6

First Step - Went from Pro to Plus and if tomorrow nothing works will just get out of here. What a plonkers !!!!

MrAnderson
Helpful | Level 5

For about two days now several of my systems have been stuck at "Syncing..." That includes one desktop running Windows 10 and two servers running Windows Server 2012 R2.

I have two other Windows Server 2012 R2's that are not having this issue and one MacBook Pro running macOS Catalina also without this problem. All are on the same dropbox version which is v88.4.172

So far I've tried restarting the affected computers and obviously restarting Dropbox. I've tried fixing hardlinks and folder permissions. Nothing is working and the three systems I noted above are still after two days stuck at "Syncing..." with no other information available to me.

I've looked at the disk access of the dropbox processes and they don't seem to be doing much. Barely reading from the C drive at a few bytes. Seems like it has stalled but why? - No idea.

Honestly I'm very angry about this, I'm a paying customer and right now this is unusable. I want a refund for all the time I'm losing.

Matt F.16
Collaborator | Level 9

I've been a loyal dropbox customer for many years.. but this is ridiculus.. by far the worst upgrade we've seen. 

marianemes
Helpful | Level 6

Agree. It took 2 days, 2 days..2 weeks ago had similar problems, at least they fixed it then. Now...nothing. support chat just gave me the general bla-bla. I pay 20 dollars each month, this is really becoming ridiculous. Dropbox used to be such a reliable service. Now, I don't trust them anymore.

I'm currently looking around for other providers and plans. Any suggestions? GDrive, OneDrive?

Need more support?