cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox wonky after 88.4.172 upgrade

Dropbox is stuck syncing after an update, what can I do?

Shawn B.14
Helpful | Level 6

I have the "Dropbox Plus" subscription and I run the client on 4 computers.

Yesterday (Monday, 13-Jan-2020) I signed onto my desktop (which is always on) and has a full local sync of my dropbox that a number of new files added Saturday had big red Xs on them -- JPEGs I had scanned Saturday and which were in sync to my laptop on Sunday morning.

I checked my other workstation (also always on) and Dropbox wasn't even running.  I launched it, and it pretty immediately ran a "one time update".   Once this completed, it appeared to go into a full-on sync mode, indexing thousands of files and downloading thousands more (my total dropbox footprint is ~17k files, 600 GB of data).  This has been running for 24 hours without making any apparent progress, despite the drive being materially in sync with my first workstation (using BeyondCompare to check).  Plus not enough system activity to indicate any actual indexing or download was taking place.

I paused workstation 2, uninstalled dropbox on workstation 1 and reinstalled it.  Just prior to this, workstation 1 was "stuck" uploading 2 files and downloading 7 files, which it had been on since last night.

Workstation 1 now shows "indexing" for around 8k files and "downloading" for 9k files.  Trouble is, Resource Monitor doesn't show disk activity or network activity for that kind of activity.

What's going on?  I was perfectly in sync as of Saturday morning and over the last 24 hours it's gotten bad.

Oddly, my laptop ("laptop 1") is apparently fine, showing more or less normal sync status as far as I can tell (and is on build 88.4.172).

165 Replies 165

MrAnderson
Helpful | Level 5

I was able to fix two of my systems by completely uninstalling Dropbox and then reinstalling it. This update is clearly messed up somewhere. After waiting 2 days for it to "work" reinstalling it made it work within 30 minutes on both systems.

Come on Dropbox... get it together.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Hey everyone, thanks for joining the discussion here!

I'm really sorry to hear about the issues you've had over the weekend with syncing. Thank you to everyone who took the time to share their input on what worked for them.

I'm very happy to hear that the steps worked for you @lucaspinhro, thanks for updating me with this!

If anyone is still having this issue where syncing appears to be stuck (@Joshua5, @Matt F.16, @CAGR), can you please take a look at the steps mentioned here to see if that does the trick?

After taking the above steps, you'll need to allow a short time for the changes to take affect before you see syncing progress. The more files you have, the longer this might take as it applies the changes to the files.

@Akos@marianemes@Exis and @hdmf I located your tickets with our Support team and have passed along all of your comments there too to keep my colleagues who are assisting you there in the loop. They'll be able to assist you best from there.

@kelly75, if you're still having an issue with this, would you mind if I reach out to the email linked with your profile?

Thanks for all your patience while we look into this with you, don't hesitate to get back to me with any updates or questions.

I hope you all have a great day!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

marianemes
Helpful | Level 6
Short time? You basically ruined my weekend's work

Matt F.16
Collaborator | Level 9

Hi Daphne, I cannot follow the directions because my Dropbox runs on a headless Linux server. There is no GUI. No preferences. I can only control it with the command-line (CLI): python.py status

python.py start

python.py stop

..etc..

What do I do?! @Daphne 

PatWard
Helpful | Level 7

I'm in the same boat. I'd started another thread about it but not had any luck. I've tried the fixing of hardware links and permissions with no noticable difference to the state of syncing.

This seemed to really kick off around the 17th Jan. Sudden appearance of conflicted files causing problems in project sensitive folders. An initial fixing of permissions seemed to put a stop to that but its now been stuck syncing since Saturday. Just how long are we meant to wait before we get any sync feedback? I currently can't use dropbox which is somewhat problematic.

my original post 

BTW: Can we access message autosaves? One of mine has vanished and I'd like it back.

gformenti
Helpful | Level 5

"Same problem here. Last night support chat couldn't solve it either. Two weeks ago something similar happened. This time, it is just "Syncing..." No numbers, no indexing." marianemes

My Dropbox is exactly like this.. It wont move stuck on sync with no DL / UL numbers
it sbeen like this for the past 5 days, cant find a solution. 

Shawn B.14
Helpful | Level 6

As an update to my situation:

No amount of time appears to unstick my sync status at "1 uploading, 7 downloading".

File explorer access is sluggish, worse in my dropbox folder.  The sync status icon overlays take many seconds to minutes to update; the larger files, the longer it takes.

I'm getting some new file downloads, although I have created very few on other machines and am not sure if its reliable.

I can create new file uploads, but one I did is labled "New Folder" when the folder has been renamed on my local computer, but online and on other devices it shows "new folder".

Siwinis
Helpful | Level 5

Having same issue. Files have not synced since Jan 9, 2020. I've reinstalled dropbox and it seems to be stuck and not syncing at all. Is Dropbox fixing this soon?

Matt F.16
Collaborator | Level 9

Update for me -- before my problem was that it would get stuck on Syncing #### files, Uploading #### files, Downloading #### files. Once again I tried restarting Dropbox, and now it's just stuck on "Syncing....." with no #'s. Ubuntu/Linux.

Siwinis
Helpful | Level 5

At first mine was just stuck at "syncing..." and so I reinstalled Dropbox to see if that clears up anything. It got stuck similarly to Sycing #### files, Downloading ####, Uploading ####. Left it for a few hours and the #### did not change at all. So I tried to unlink and relink Dropbox and similarly back to the "Syncing..." I did pretty much all of the steps of turning off the firewall, restarting the dropbox app, and restarting the computer. At the moment nothing helps. I only discovered the problem start of the weekend. Suffice to say, it has not been a good weekend.

Need more support?