cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox wonky after 88.4.172 upgrade

Dropbox is stuck syncing after an update, what can I do?

Shawn B.14
Helpful | Level 6

I have the "Dropbox Plus" subscription and I run the client on 4 computers.

Yesterday (Monday, 13-Jan-2020) I signed onto my desktop (which is always on) and has a full local sync of my dropbox that a number of new files added Saturday had big red Xs on them -- JPEGs I had scanned Saturday and which were in sync to my laptop on Sunday morning.

I checked my other workstation (also always on) and Dropbox wasn't even running.  I launched it, and it pretty immediately ran a "one time update".   Once this completed, it appeared to go into a full-on sync mode, indexing thousands of files and downloading thousands more (my total dropbox footprint is ~17k files, 600 GB of data).  This has been running for 24 hours without making any apparent progress, despite the drive being materially in sync with my first workstation (using BeyondCompare to check).  Plus not enough system activity to indicate any actual indexing or download was taking place.

I paused workstation 2, uninstalled dropbox on workstation 1 and reinstalled it.  Just prior to this, workstation 1 was "stuck" uploading 2 files and downloading 7 files, which it had been on since last night.

Workstation 1 now shows "indexing" for around 8k files and "downloading" for 9k files.  Trouble is, Resource Monitor doesn't show disk activity or network activity for that kind of activity.

What's going on?  I was perfectly in sync as of Saturday morning and over the last 24 hours it's gotten bad.

Oddly, my laptop ("laptop 1") is apparently fine, showing more or less normal sync status as far as I can tell (and is on build 88.4.172).

165 Replies 165

CAGR
Helpful | Level 6
I refuse to be negative BUT this issue is typical of a corporation: they mess things up, fail to acknowledge it and worst, are unable to fix it.
They know they messed it up last week and in the process, screwed us big time.
I will download my data and am out of here ... don’t care whether they are tje most popular sync app out there, this was enough for me. Laters ...

marianemes
Helpful | Level 6

Doing the same. Where are you moving? 

CAGR
Helpful | Level 6
One Drive is rubbish. Google Drive is OK. Sugar Sync, although far from being that advanced or popular, is a serious contender to replace these people. In the end, i’d rather be screwed up by them than by a massive company like Dropbox... it may sound weird, but i got sick of Dropbox in just 3 days ... proper sick... it is like: won’t stay even if i get it for free the rest of my life ... good luck !

marianemes
Helpful | Level 6

Same here. I pay them 20 euros monthly and this 'support' was ridiculous. Thanks for the tip!

tonyskate
Helpful | Level 5

Having the same issue. Dropbox should realize that this problem is on THEIR SIDE. They messed up with the latest update. Don't waste your time trying to fix it by reinstalling etc. The only thing that helped me is to use the „Fix Hardlinks“ button (Preferences, Account, press spacebar to show Support Features). Press the button and then wait until it shows message it has finished fixing and you are good to go before you restart or turn off/on your PC again.

jeremyti
Explorer | Level 3

Same problem here. Dropbox only says "syncing..." nothing else. And my drop disk usage is 100% precent but no internet traffic. So what dropbox is doing? Re-hashing all files? Because thats stupid. I have 950gb+ files, so hassing them takes more timing then re-downloading them. 

And please can you stop being like google, and test your software before releasing it?

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Hello all, hoping you're all well today!

First of all, @Matt F.16 apologies for that! I will place the steps to do this via the command line on Linux devices in the "More info" box below since it's a little lengthy.

Spoiler
Fixing file permissions via command line on Linux devices
1. Stop the desktop app from running on the device.
2. Open the Terminal app.
3. Copy and paste the following lines into the Terminal app, pressing "Return" after each command. Please make sure to copy the command as typing them wrong could do some harm.
sudo chown "$USER" "$HOME"

sudo chown -R "$USER" ~/Dropbox ~/.dropbox

sudo chattr -R -i ~/Dropbox

sudo chmod -R u+rw ~/Dropbox ~/.dropbox
Once the prompt displays, the instruction is complete and ready for the next command.
4. Restart the Dropbox app.

Since you're having issues with conflicted copies too @PatWard, I'd like to troubleshooting with you separately to avoid confusion so I'll be following up on the thread you mentioned ASAP! 

For those still having an issue, could you try the steps listed here and let me know how it goes? (@gformenti@Siwinis, @jeremyti)

@tonyskate, I'm glad to hear that using the "Fix Hardlinks" helps out to an extent. However, if restarting your device results in stuck syncing again then I'd like to do some further troubleshooting with you, if you'd like to of course.

Can I reached out to you via the email linked with your profile to look into this with you?

Finally, thanks for your update @Shawn B.14.  I'll get back to you via our email communication once I've had a look into this with the additional info you gave me here.

Thanks for your patience everyone, I'll be awaiting your updates!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

PatWard
Helpful | Level 7

Thanks Daphne.

The conflicted files issue seems to of resolved itself after I fixed permissions. Right now I've been stuck syncing since Saturday with no apparent change and can't upload so seem to be in the same situation as many others here.

And I appreciate it can't be much fun working on a help forum .. we only come here when something has gone wrong ..

Cheers.

Matt F.16
Collaborator | Level 9

Hi @Daphne  -- completed the commands, but no change.. Still stuck on a blank "Syncing..."

[Jan 21 07:44 PM][matt@server:~]$ dropbox.py status
Syncing...
[Jan 21 07:44 PM][matt@server:~]$ dropbox.py stop
Dropbox isn't responding!
[Jan 21 07:45 PM][matt@server:~]$ dropbox.py stop
Dropbox isn't running!
[Jan 21 07:45 PM][matt@server:~]$ dropbox.py stop
Dropbox isn't running!
[Jan 21 07:45 PM][matt@server:~]$ sudo chown "$USER" "$HOME"
[sudo] password for matt: 
[Jan 21 07:45 PM][matt@server:~]$ sudo chown -R "$USER" ~/Dropbox ~/.dropbox
[Jan 21 07:45 PM][matt@server:~]$ sudo chattr -R -i ~/Dropbox
chattr: Operation not supported while reading flags on /home/matt/Dropbox/bin/setLightsGetColorsLiving
chattr: Operation not supported while reading flags on /home/matt/Dropbox/bin/setLightsFlashColorLiving
chattr: Operation not supported while reading flags on /home/matt/Dropbox/bin/setLightsFlashColorBoys
chattr: Operation not supported while reading flags on /home/matt/Dropbox/bin/setLightsColorBed
chattr: Operation not supported while reading flags on /home/matt/Dropbox/bin/setLightsGetColorsBed
chattr: Operation not supported while reading flags on /home/matt/Dropbox/bin/eth/geth
chattr: Operation not supported while reading flags on /home/matt/Dropbox/bin/eth/blockchain/geth.ipc
chattr: Operation not supported while reading flags on /home/matt/Dropbox/bin/setLightsPowerBed
chattr: Operation not supported while reading flags on /home/matt/Dropbox/bin/babysit_lircd
chattr: Operation not supported while reading flags on /home/matt/Dropbox/bin/setLightsFlashColorMatt
chattr: Operation not supported while reading flags on /home/matt/Dropbox/bin/setLightsFlashColorBed
chattr: Operation not supported while reading flags on /home/matt/Dropbox/bin/setLightsPowerLiving
chattr: Operation not supported while reading flags on /home/matt/Dropbox/Documents/Technical/Backups/android-workspace/School
chattr: Operation not supported while reading flags on /home/matt/Dropbox/Documents/Technical/android-workspace/School
chattr: Operation not supported while reading flags on /home/matt/Dropbox/Documents/bin
chattr: Operation not supported while reading flags on /home/matt/Dropbox/src/server/www/mfp/widgets/wRemoteDesktop1.php
chattr: Operation not supported while reading flags on /home/matt/Dropbox/src/server/www/mfp/widgets/wRemoteDesktop3.php
chattr: Operation not supported while reading flags on /home/matt/Dropbox/src/server/www/mfp/widgets/wPing3.php
chattr: Operation not supported while reading flags on /home/matt/Dropbox/src/server/www/mfp/widgets/wPing2.php
chattr: Operation not supported while reading flags on /home/matt/Dropbox/src/server/www/mfp/widgets/wRemoteDesktop9.php
chattr: Operation not supported while reading flags on /home/matt/Dropbox/src/server/www/mfp/widgets/wWebcams4.php
chattr: Operation not supported while reading flags on /home/matt/Dropbox/src/server/www/mfp/widgets/wWebcams2.php
chattr: Operation not supported while reading flags on /home/matt/Dropbox/src/server/www/mfp/widgets/wWebcams7.php
chattr: Operation not supported while reading flags on /home/matt/Dropbox/src/server/www/mfp/widgets/wWebcams1.php
chattr: Operation not supported while reading flags on /home/matt/Dropbox/src/server/www/mfp/widgets/wRemoteDesktop6.php
chattr: Operation not supported while reading flags on /home/matt/Dropbox/src/server/www/mfp/widgets/wPing5.php
chattr: Operation not supported while reading flags on /home/matt/Dropbox/src/server/www/mfp/widgets/wWebcams6.php
chattr: Operation not supported while reading flags on /home/matt/Dropbox/src/server/www/mfp/widgets/wRemoteDesktop10.php
chattr: Operation not supported while reading flags on /home/matt/Dropbox/src/server/www/mfp/widgets/wPing4.php
chattr: Operation not supported while reading flags on /home/matt/Dropbox/src/server/www/mfp/widgets/wWebcams8.php
chattr: Operation not supported while reading flags on /home/matt/Dropbox/src/server/www/mfp/widgets/wRemoteDesktop8.php
chattr: Operation not supported while reading flags on /home/matt/Dropbox/src/server/www/mfp/widgets/wRemoteDesktop5.php
chattr: Operation not supported while reading flags on /home/matt/Dropbox/src/server/www/mfp/widgets/wRemoteDesktop12.php
chattr: Operation not supported while reading flags on /home/matt/Dropbox/src/server/www/mfp/widgets/wWebcams5.php
chattr: Operation not supported while reading flags on /home/matt/Dropbox/src/server/www/mfp/widgets/wRemoteDesktop7.php
chattr: Operation not supported while reading flags on /home/matt/Dropbox/src/server/www/mfp/widgets/wRemoteDesktop2.php
chattr: Operation not supported while reading flags on /home/matt/Dropbox/src/server/www/mfp/widgets/wPing1.php
chattr: Operation not supported while reading flags on /home/matt/Dropbox/src/server/www/mfp/widgets/wRemoteDesktop11.php
chattr: Operation not supported while reading flags on /home/matt/Dropbox/src/server/www/mfp/widgets/wWebcams3.php
chattr: Operation not supported while reading flags on /home/matt/Dropbox/src/server/www/mfp/widgets/Zend
chattr: Operation not supported while reading flags on /home/matt/Dropbox/src/server/www/mfp/widgets/wRemoteDesktop4.php
chattr: Operation not supported while reading flags on /home/matt/Dropbox/src/server/www/jarvis
chattr: Operation not supported while reading flags on /home/matt/Dropbox/src/jarvis/ui/images/neticons/mnt
[Jan 21 07:45 PM][matt@server:~]$ sudo chmod -R u+rw ~/Dropbox ~/.dropbox
[Jan 21 07:46 PM][matt@server:~]$ dropbox.py start
Starting Dropbox...dropbox: locating interpreter
dropbox: logging to /tmp/dropbox-antifreeze-kYer41
dropbox: initializing
dropbox: initializing python 3.7.5
dropbox: setting program path '/home/matt/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-88.4.172/dropbox'
dropbox: setting python path '/home/matt/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-88.4.172:/home/matt/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-88.4.172/python-packages.zip'
dropbox: python initialized
dropbox: running dropbox
dropbox: setting args
dropbox: applying overrides
dropbox: running main script
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/matt/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-88.4.172/cryptography.hazmat.bindings._constant_time.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/matt/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-88.4.172/cryptography.hazmat.bindings._openssl.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/matt/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-88.4.172/cryptography.hazmat.bindings._padding.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/matt/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-88.4.172/psutil._psutil_linux.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/matt/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-88.4.172/psutil._psutil_posix.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/matt/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-88.4.172/apex._apex.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/matt/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-88.4.172/tornado.speedups.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
Dropbox isn't running!
Done!
[Jan 21 07:46 PM][matt@server:~]$ dropbox.py status
Syncing...
Syncing...
Syncing...

The chattr "Operation not supported errors" are on symlinks, which makes sense. There are 10,000's other files that should be syncing.

gformenti
Helpful | Level 5

Hi @Daphne, my account tab doesnt have this option to "Fix Hardlinks". I dont know if it is because I am part of  team Dropbox. In our studio im the only one with this issue. I reinstalled 2 times already, and did those step in command prompt butstillEdited by moderatorEdited by moderator

Need more support?