cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox is syncing all keynote and sketch files

Highlighted

Dropbox is syncing all keynote and sketch files

Helpful | Level 6

I use smart syncing in finder. I select the files I use, and the rest is online only.

I have had problems over a long period that dropbox syncs files that I have not chosen to sync. All of these files are keynote files and sketch files. (with the ending .key .sketch). Even if I unsync them, dropbox starts syncing them again. This fills up my hard drive. And also takes up a lot of my machines capacity, the fan is constantly running - cpu is from 160-180 constantly. The syncing and indexing of files is very slow, but its not due to slow connection.

It seems like no one else on my team has the same problems. Anyone else who has experoenced the same problems?

13 Replies 13
Highlighted

Re: Dropbox is syncing all keynote and sketch files

Explorer | Level 4

Yes, thank you. It took me a few days to figure out it was only Sketch and Keynote files being synced. I haven’t solved it yet, but would also love some inputs on the subject.

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Hi @RannveigL & @lucaG1; thanks for posting on our Community again.

It seems like you're experiencing what's described in this Help Center article; could you take a look and confirm if that's the case indeed? 

Regarding the high CPU usage, can you please go through our dedicated Help Center article and let me know if it helps?

Thanks!

PS: If you only notice this with specific files, it may be that the 3rd app used to access (index, preview etc.) is downloading them locally to your device. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Pretty sure that’s the case. But I don’t even have Sketch open, neither do I have Sketch Cloud installed. And the article doesn’t really explain how to solve the problem or how to find out why it’s happening.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

Good to hear that I'm not the only one experiencing I think it something with the .key and .sketch endings that makes dropbox download these files, maybe it´s a bug? It's syncing everybodys sketch and keynote files. Files that I have never opened.

I also had problems innstalling my teams dropbox (its really big, but it was online only), but I took 3 days to get it innstalled.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Have you figured out how to solve the issue? What Anti Virus are you using. Maybe this is triggering a download request. I can’t imagine Sketch requesting a download of all files, while it’s closed.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

I don't use any anti virus programs, I'm on a mac. I use clean my mac which might affect dorpbx, but I don't think in this way. Many of these files are not mine, I have never opened them even. 

Highlighted

New member | Level 2

I have the same exact issue. It took me a while to figure out that it was only the kenote files. I just saw randome files being sync locally. 

It is VERY annoying and as others have say, it fills my hard drive storage. They are keynote files so they also tend to be very heavy (many of them 500+ MB).

In many cases they are VERY old files that I haven't open in ages, and in folders that I haven't use in months (some even years!)

Finally, it is an issue that comes and goes. Suddendly it stops syncing files, and hours later it restarts. 

Please find a solution. This seems like a bug.

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Hi all; thanks for joining our Community and the discussion here.

I'm not sure if this is the case indeed, but I think this issue may be related to the nature of the files in question and the software used to access/preview or index them; keynote files being package files and sketch files being libraries or containers. 

In that case, you may need to configure the 3rd party apps you use for those files to prevent this from happening. 

I know it's not much, but I hope this helps to some extent. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

Hi

I think I've found a solution to the problems. I have unselected Sketch and Keynote in the system preferances for iCloud. After I unsynced the files in finder to be online onliy. It seems like they're are not beeing syncked again, like they used too.

But I'll have to give it a few more hours to be sure if this solves it. So far soo good. So then syncking in ICloud is the solution for fixing these problems

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?