cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to hear from you. What do you use Dropbox for?
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Dropbox is syncing all my local files on my computer, how can I stop this?

Explorer | Level 3

Hi Community,

I am *completely* new to DropBox and got into a fix and now need some help. 

While migrating files from a very old laptop (not using DropBox) over to a spiffy new laptop (with DropBox automatically installed), somehow DropBox syncing got turned on on this new laptop.  Apparently all of the documents from my Desktop and my Documents (and probably other places as well) are now sync'd under DropBox (this is an assumption I am making, as I really don't grasp this tool).  My problem is that when I'm on another PC at the office, I can browse the network and find this laptop, but I can't access files from my Desktop or from my Documents any longer (I assume because they are under DropBox, and I am *NOT* signed in using the same microsoft account on both laptops).  I really want my files stored locally, but somehow they got moved without my realizing it, and now I am asking for help in getting them back.

My first instinct was to turn off DropBox, but according to the messages I've found online so far, turning this off will make all of those files inaccessible from my laptop again?!?  Is that true?  Under SELECT SYNC options, I see the message saying "Unchecked folders will not appear on this device".  So if I uncheck my desktop, I won't see my desktop files any longer?  That makes no sense to me, but I may be reading this incorrectly.  That's why I'm asking for help here.

I think I'm using a basic plan which means I can't reach out to DropBox support for help without paying them.  I'm afraid to simply turn it off for fear I will lose access to my files.  Therefore I am turning to this community option.

I am hoping that someone out there in the community can help me accpomplish two things:

1) I would like to retrieve all of my files currently sync'd under DropBox and would like to get them back on my laptop locally.

2) I would like to turn off syncing completely so that these files don't end up off my HD again in the future.

I will probably need to provide more details, but I'm not even sure what else to describe at this point.  If anyone is willing to help, I would be very appreciative.   Thanks in advance... ( <-- see???)

Rita the DropBox Gnu-Bee

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Turn Off Drop Box

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey there @GnuBee, thanks for reaching out to us here!

The feature that allows you to sync your Desktop, Documents and Downloads folders is called "computer backup". Selective sync is a little different and allows you to choose which folders in your account you don't want to sync to your computer.

You can disable the computer backup with the steps outlined towards the bottom of this article, and then you'll be able to move your files from the "My PC" backup folder back to their original locations on your computer.

This will leave just the contents of the Dropbox folder syncing to your account online. However, if you'd like to stop using the desktop app to sync altogether and just access your files in Dropbox online, you can unlink the app and then uninstall it.

I hope this info helps, let me know if you have any questions!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey there @GnuBee, thanks for reaching out to us here!

The feature that allows you to sync your Desktop, Documents and Downloads folders is called "computer backup". Selective sync is a little different and allows you to choose which folders in your account you don't want to sync to your computer.

You can disable the computer backup with the steps outlined towards the bottom of this article, and then you'll be able to move your files from the "My PC" backup folder back to their original locations on your computer.

This will leave just the contents of the Dropbox folder syncing to your account online. However, if you'd like to stop using the desktop app to sync altogether and just access your files in Dropbox online, you can unlink the app and then uninstall it.

I hope this info helps, let me know if you have any questions!

Daphne

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Daphne, thank you for your reply and for that link to the Backup article.  I now understand this set better than I did before, and I understand that it is not what I thought it was.  I guess I activated it when I tried the 'backup' feature, not knowing that it was actually a sync'ing feature.  Perhaps they would consider renaming that feature.

Anyway, I turned off the 'backups' and followed the links to move a few thousand files from DropBox back over to my Documents/Desktop/Downloads folders.  They are now local again and I am happy with the current setup.

I can't uninstall DropBox because we are a non-profit Senior Center who needs to share data with the state, who provided us with shared folders for that very purpose.  Otherwise I think I would probably uninstall it entirely.

I appreciate the response.  Thank you for helping me correct my mistakes.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

I'm very glad to hear that did the trick @GnuBee!

I'd be more than happy to help out if you have any other questions, feel free to just give me a nudge here anytime.

I hope you have a brilliant week ahead!

Daphne

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
<b>We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now <a href="https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Business-Tips-tricks/Folder-structure-best-practice/m-p/428456#M39"><u>check it out here</u></a>.</b>

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?