cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox is up to date but still draining all my bandwidth

Dropbox is up to date but still draining all my bandwidth

Paulgi
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

i've been using dropbox without any problems in the last 5 years, it was my main cloud, but suddenly it started to drain all my bandwidth,  unabling me to use my internet service, even when it was up to date.

now i have to exit dropbox right after i start windows and the i have to end task on dropbox update on task manager a few times, because it restarts automatically.

since i only have a very limited 3G internet service, i'm always very carefully to never accept automatic updates. i already checked the dropbox preferences and i'm sure that there are no automatic updates active. so, what can cause this problem?

for now i'm going to avoid to use dropbox again, but i'd really like to find a solution to prevent this problem so i can use dropbox again.

15 Replies 15

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Paulgi,

Thanks for the additional info - much appreciated.

I am sorry to hear you are still having this issue and I would really like to have a look into this. 

First of, we regularly update active Dropbox accounts automatically to the latest version and the only way to avoid this for now would be to uninstall the desktop application compeletely and access your files via the web only.

Should we face any issues with updating your computer to the latest version the Dropbox application we will let you know that your current version is old and you'd need to download and install the latest stable build to resume syncing. Note that each new version includes a number of key updates so it’s of great significance that you run the latest version whenever possible - this is why there is no way to prevent this at the moment.  Keep in mind that you can always read more about the updating process here

Moreover, to prevent the desktop app from using too much of your bandwidth, you can also manually customize bandwidth settings as shown here

I know this is not the exact answer you'd expect but I hope this helps clear this up. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Paulgi
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
is that so hard to prevent the application to update while we are in a poor and metered connection?

i don't have this problem with any other application, not even with the OS.

i always update windows when i'm at home with a cable connection and i never had any problem when i'm working away in zones of poor internet connection. this is an exclusive problem on the dropbox application that could be easily solved.

windows do it automatically when i'm on a cable connection, but i have other applications that i need to do it manually, but that's also no problem, the only problem is an application starting to use the internet even when i'm using it.

as you may know, even on android the apps don't start using my internet if i'm on a metered connection. as i said this is an exclusive problem of dropbox on windows.

Paulgi
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
i already disabled the dropbox to start on system startup and removed it from the toolbar. i specifically selected "exit dropbox" and ended task from task manager. still, just one minute ago this **bleep** virus stated again draining all my bandwidth.

do i really need to uninstall the application everytime you force an unneeded update?

please fix this. this is a problem.

i enjoy dropbox, i've been using it for years, but this mediocre update system is ruining the application.

at least give us an option to temporary disable the application. i'm trying that but somehow that horrible forced update thing is always appearing even when i'm not running the application.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @Paulgi - how are you today?

Apologies for the late response, are you still having this issue? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Paulgi
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

not in the last 2 weeks. i'm still on a place with a poor internet connection for one more week, i hope it doesn't start again soon.

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks for looping back here Paulgi, glad to hear that this has now been resolved for you & for that reason, I’ve made sure to accept your last reply as a Solution. 

Just in case you experience that again or you need further assistance, please feel free to let us know here & we’ll make sure to check back with you on the progress. Wishing you a relaxed weekend ahead! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Need more support?