Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Dropbox keeps asking me to delete a file I would NEVER want to delete. How do I make it stop?

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I've been using Dropbox for many years but a few months ago it started asking me at least weekly to delete a Quickbooks file that I would never want to delete. I'm not accidentally hitting delete. It even happens when the file is open. This deletion prompt is disturbing. There's a box I can check so I don't see that question any more but I'm afraid if I check it, Dropbox will remove this essential file without asking me. How do I make thi message stop?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Dropbox keeps asking me to delete a file I would NEVER want to delete. How do I make it stop?

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi there @Elizabeth M.16

Thanks for joining the Dropbox Community! 

Quickbooks is not recommended to sync with Dropbox, mainly because it is a live library of files and can cause syncing issues. The Quickbooks files are updated live by the Quickbooks app and Dropbox sees this as a deletion and addition of the files you are editing. 

When the desktop app realises that a file will be deleted, it gives you this error to notify you that the file will also be deleted from the cloud and any other devices. 

Best option would be to not sync live library files, they are backed up by Quickbooks in any case. 

Here are a few more discussions we had in the Community about Quickbooks: 

Dropbox keeps duplicating our Quickbooks files, how we do we stop this?

Quickbooks Pro Desktop and DropBox

QuickBooks

I'd be glad to answer any questions you might have. 

Thank you! 

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
Highlighted

Re: Dropbox keeps asking me to delete a file I would NEVER want to delete. How do I make it stop?

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi there @Elizabeth M.16

Thanks for joining the Dropbox Community! 

Quickbooks is not recommended to sync with Dropbox, mainly because it is a live library of files and can cause syncing issues. The Quickbooks files are updated live by the Quickbooks app and Dropbox sees this as a deletion and addition of the files you are editing. 

When the desktop app realises that a file will be deleted, it gives you this error to notify you that the file will also be deleted from the cloud and any other devices. 

Best option would be to not sync live library files, they are backed up by Quickbooks in any case. 

Here are a few more discussions we had in the Community about Quickbooks: 

Dropbox keeps duplicating our Quickbooks files, how we do we stop this?

Quickbooks Pro Desktop and DropBox

QuickBooks

I'd be glad to answer any questions you might have. 

Thank you! 

Fiona

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

DropBox removing Vectorworks backup?

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I’ve been receiving this dialog box whenever I’m working in Vectorworks. It looks as though Dropbox is trying to delete my backup file. I have my backup file set to automatically back up while I’m working. Since this pops up multiple times when I’m in a file, I feel as if Dropbox is trying to either overwrite or delete and replace my back up files whenever it automatically saves. Is there a way to stop getting these messages?

DB dialog box.JPG

Highlighted

Re: DropBox removing Vectorworks backup?

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @DBS1023!

Seems like you are facing the same issue we are talking about in this Community post. 

I merged your topic here. I hope this explains the issue you are facing. I did find third party resources about this app but we are not official integrated, so I don't know more about the issue you are facing. 

I hope other members of our Community, can add some more information about this. 

Let us know what you find. 

Thank you! 

Fiona

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Thank you, Fiona. I should have done my initial search for the issue with Quickbooks. I thought it was about live files, not just QB ones. I appreciate it!

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for your response.  

For anything else you might need, we are only a post away. 

See you around in the Community @Elizabeth M.16

Fiona

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?