cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox keeps complaining about "Can't Sync 'System Volume Information'"

Dropbox keeps complaining about "Can't Sync 'System Volume Information'"

Post T.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Dropbox Windows client 3.0.5, running on Windows 8.1

I have a dedicated partition / drive for Dropbox, and Windows created "System Volume Information" folder on its root directory.

Dropbox client keeps saying:
Indexing "System Volume Information"...
Can't Sync "System Volume Information" (access denied)

I tried to use "Selective Sync" to un-check this folder, but unfortunately it does not show up in the folder list.

Thus the Dropbox client never finishes syncing because of this folder.

Can Dropbox client be a little smart and don't even try to sync this system folder? it really does not make sense.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reg A.
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I sent a reply but it seems to have evaporated.  Yes, changing permissions seems to have cracked it.  I accept deleting the folder wouldn't help.  And it seem to me you can't create a folder with the same name because the OS would just say that it already exists, yes?.

The takeown command was a new one to me; it may have been valuable but I can't tell.  Certainly changing permissions was the important thing, and also de-selecting it once it was visible finally clinched it.

So thanks, guys, good work; I am grateful.

View solution in original post

26 Replies 26

Marco R.4
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Same problem here!

VDas U.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Same problem here!

Will T.2
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I was having this issue also and unfortunately since there is no command line for dropbox on windows I had to go about it the hard way:

First go to folder settings and show hidden files and folders and show system files.
Go to the location of the system volume information folder and right click -> properties -> security -> advanced -> add "users" with full access
Open CMD and use "ATTRIB -H -S <path to system volume information folder>"
Restart your computer and wait for dropbox to rescan that folder at which point the folder should appear on the selective sync list.

I haven't fully tested the outcome of this since dropbox is still syncing files but it seems like it should work. I imagine one could reset the security settings on system volume information afterwards, if not hide it again altogether.

Stuart M.13
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Just for anyone else having problems with the System Volume Information error above:

- It stops the dropbox updating deleted files, and when copying files from one location to another, may leave copies in the original file 

Follow the advice of Will T. (above)

Note that you must unhide system files: Clear the Hide protected operating system files (Recommended) check box

As soon as full access is granted to the file, dropbox will complete. (I also de-selected it from sync)

DaveC2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Selective sync works of the folders that are in the cloud, not the machine.

So I would expect you can just create the folder via the website, and then selectively unsync it.

Reg A.
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I have the same problem - "Ca't sync System Volume Information ... ". and tried to follow the guidance above.  But in Windows 10 I don't have the option to view system files - just hidden folders and drives.  There is no sign anywhere of a System Volume Information.  I'm wondering if Win10 does not allow you to see system files at all, regardless of what you ask to do - and yes, I am administrator.  There is no such file/folder in the Dropbox account so I can't tackle it from that end.  Any ideas?

Will T.2
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

So dropbox is saying it cannot sync System Volume Information but you cannot see the file even in the command line? You could try "dir /A:H" or "dir /A:S" to show hidden or system files respectively. Then one could use the "takeown" command to take ownership of the files and folders.

I just tested this breifly and I can see "system volume information" on a flash drive using dir /A:H on Windows 10.

Seems like everything just gets harder and harder to use : /

Reg A.
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thanks for that reply, Will.

Yes, using the dir /A:S I can indeed see the folder System Volume Information.  But I'm unsure what the takeown command is going to do that helps me.  I can only run it on files, it seems, not folders.  So can you advise what I shouid do with it?  I can't delete the folder, obviously, so I need to make it such that Dropbox will process it.  Presumably now Dropbox looks at the folder, finds it can't access it or something, and just sits there waiting till it can.

So your first suggestion is great - I can now SEE the damned folder - but I need advice as to what to do with it now. 

Will T.2
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I am certainly no expert in these matters but I believe takeown works on folders or directories based on the /? switch information.

Can you take ownership of the hidden file and/or folders then set them so that they are not hidden or system files using attrib? Then hopefully you will be able to deselect them in the Dropbox selective sync menu.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Doug M.4 New member | Level 1
    Michael E.11 New member | Level 1
    DaveC2 New member | Level 1
    Will M.1 Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?