cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox killing internet connection

Dropbox killing internet connection

Chris81
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
I moved my PC onto a new network. Dropbox was killing my internet connection so I played with limiting the upload download speeds and it seemed to work fine. Now after a win10 update it refuses to work without killing my network connection. I've tried resetting network settings, reinstalling Dropbox, updating network drivers. I kinda need this to work to do my job on Monday morning :'(
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Chris81
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I tried a reinstall, and the internet was still dropping out afterwards. I also tried restoring windows to a previous version before the update to Windows 10, verison 1709. So now I am on Win10 v1703 and everything seems back to normal... Now I just need to avoid hitting the "Shutdown and restart" button xD

Yay windows...

View solution in original post

17 Replies 17

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
Which version of Dropbox?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Chris81
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
I have version 38.4.27

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
Could you try and advanced reinstall using https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Desktop-client-builds/Stable-Build-38-4-27/m-p/250586/highlight/fals... ?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Chris81
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I tried a reinstall, and the internet was still dropping out afterwards. I also tried restoring windows to a previous version before the update to Windows 10, verison 1709. So now I am on Win10 v1703 and everything seems back to normal... Now I just need to avoid hitting the "Shutdown and restart" button xD

Yay windows...

wyotar
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

My Internet speed went to virtually dead.  I worked with my Internet provider.  They sent a new modem.  Then got a new router.  Then reset Windows - the Internet came back alive.  I loaded all my software and it went dead again.  The IT guy said - get a new computer.  Got a new computer and the DSL speed was 20.  I loaded software and it crashed again.  I assumed it was Norton and deleted it.  Still bad.  I finally uninstalled Dropbox and now I'm flying again.  Dropbox cost me hundreds!  Not happy.  Refund would be a start...

CoralCrust
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

For the past several weeks, whenever I upload files through the desktop app (both the app and my Dropbox folder are installed on a HDD), I get heavy stutters (video and audio) until the upload is done. Most of the time this also crashes the internet connection on my PC (upon checking, it's the IPv4 and IPv6 that get crashed) and the only solution I've found so far is to restart. It's gotten really annoying, is there a fix? Is it an issue with the Dropbox app or my hardware?

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @CoralCrust, thanks for posting your question here!

The fact that the app and Dropbox folder are installed on an HDD could be causing this. 

Generally, it's preferred and suggested for the app to be installed on the device's drive

Can you let me know the version of the app you have installed on the device? 

Let me know, and we'll take it from there.

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Middlebrook
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I have the very same issue. Bought a new PC to use as the company server - all it needs to do is hold data & have it accessed by a handfull of other PC's on the network. Installed Dropbox as that is what we use as the offsite back up.

The network & internet connection drops within seconds of dropbox starting.

Have managed to narrow this down to uploads only. Can download at any speed I want. But uploads over about 50Mbs crash the connection.
I then have to reset the ethernet adapter. Even a computer restart is not sufficient.

Not sure if this is a windows or a dropbox issue or both.

But this is not workable. If some kind of patch is not available by next week it is going to have to be goodbye to dropbox and hello google cloud. (That works fine and does not stop the connection)

Middlebrook
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Apologies for the typo: "uploads over about 50Mbs" should have read "uploads over about 50KB/s"

Need more support?