cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox link keeps changing

Dropbox link keeps changing

ajw1414
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Morning,

I have a excel file on dropbox where I setup a macro to have a powerquery run overnight to pull data from our databases and then save.  What we call our master data excel file.

Afterwards we have individual excel files linked to this master excel file to update account information.  Some 250 individual files.

This approach was working file for our team over the past year, but just yesterday we noticed that the dropbox link on the master file has changed.  Causing all 250 files needing to be relink.

I noticed this morning that the link has changed again.

There has been no changes to the file other than the data uploads over night.

Can anyone advise what the issue is?  Thank you

23 Replies 23

ajw1414
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Morning Mark,

I wanted to check back and see if you had any luck with this issue?  Submitting a ticket to Dropbox today as well, but seeing if they resolved on your end.  Thank you

markbroemer
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Sorry about the late reply - the e-mail with your question landed in my spam box. The Dropbox support team earlier this week sent me a link to download a new beta version of their Dropbox program which I installed. I still have the same issue though - anytime I copy/paste a file from one folder to my Dropbox folder, the Dropbox server is interpreting it as first deleting the file (and link) and adding a new file (with subsequent new link).  They asked me afterwards to send a screencast to show what I am doing so that they can understand more the issue.  I hope this helps! -Mark

markbroemer
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

So I got what I guess is the final response from Dropbox, which is that their server no longer recognizes copied/pasted files as edits of the original document.  They then went into a spiel about co-authoring Office online documents, which is something i definitely cannot nor want to do with the files I have been sharing.  

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Hi @ajw1414 & @markbroemer,

Details about what's going on could be seen here.

Hope this casts some light. :wink:

ajw1414
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thank you all for the response.  

I ended up submitting a ticket in through Dropbox.  This appears to be related to a update they performed.  They rolled back for my individual file and the link appears to be staying the same now. 

We ended up moving our master data file to a local drive.  This does mean we have to relink 250 files, but at least we have control of such issues in the future, but I wanted to post here in case others have the same issue going forward.  Good luck.

I just received an update from our engineering team with news on a temporary fix. 

It looks like we were able to isolate this issue to a recent update of ours. While we're working to get this fixed, we've rolled back the update for your account and I've verified that the machine you contacted us about initially, "CHS4156695", has reverted that update. 

My team will continue to work on getting this fixed - but we didn't want that to be at the cost of your productivity. 

I'm going to leave this ticket on-hold for the time being as I monitor for updates, but you should be good to go. 

Jonathan H.1
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

As per here: https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Files-folders/Dropbox-link-keeps-changing/m-p/383200#M137432

The shared link to my file keeps changing without my permission. The file isn't being moved/deleted.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Jonathan H.1; thanks for your report!

I've moved your post under this thread as they seem to be related as you mentioned. 

As I'd need account specific information to assist furrther, would it be OK with you if I reached out to the email address that's connected to your Community's profile to work on this internally? 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Jonathan H.1
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution
Yes please do. I already opened a zendesk ticket but zendesk doesn't seem to be working.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the speedy response Jonathan! 

I found your existing ticket on our system and sent you an email through that. 

Whenever you get a spare minute or two, please take a look at your inbox and we'll take it from there.

Thanks again and talk to you via email soon :envelope:

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Jonathan H.1
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution
I still haven't received a response on the ticket?
Need more support?