Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Dropbox loading 2 sets of files

Explorer | Level 3

Lately when I upload jpg files to Dropbox it is uploading 2 sets. The first set is unreadable and the second set is just fine. Of course my clients see the first set and can't view them. So I've been having to go back and delete the first set which seems rediculous and is very time consuming not to mention the extra time my machine spends loading a double of every file. I'm pretty sure I'm doing something stupid. Please feel free to point out my ignorance. Thanks for any light you can shine on this.

8 Replies 8
Highlighted

Re: Dropbox loading 2 sets of files

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hello @Jaybirdy

Welcome to Dropbox Community! Thanks for sharing your experience. 

You should not have duplicates of your files from syncing. This is not an expected behavior. Let's fix it!  Before I provide any steps I will need to ask a few questions to make sure I understand the problem. 

1. Are you uploading using the Camera uploads feature? Are you plugging your phone to a computer device? Are you using the (+) button on your mobile to do this or are you dropping photos in your local Dropbox folder ( computer device) 
  2. Can you please attach a screenshot showing the double files and elaborate on the fact that they are unreadable? What happens when you open them? Please attach a screenshot if you are getting an error. 
  3. Are these files being used by any third party apps? 
  4. Does the original file have the same size with a duplicate? 

Looking forward to your response to troubleshoot. Thank you! 

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

I'm uploading jpg files that were taken on a DSLR camera, then edited on my imac. I'm dragging the files to a dropbox folder just like I have been doing for a couple of years. It uploads two sets of jpg files. The first set (the ones my clients try to open) can't be opened. I'm attaching a screen shot of the error message. Also attaching screen shot of what the end of a list looks like- where the unreadable files meet the readable files. Screen Shot 2019-10-09 at 6.38.26 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-10-09 at 6.38.26 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-10-09 at 6.41.23 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-10-09 at 6.41.23 PM.png

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thank you for the screenshots. The difference in the file names is interesting. 

How does this event show in your events page? As one upload with 2 files? Is it possible that the files are being uploaded from another device as well, maybe the camera uploads feature? 

Checking the events can help us figure this out: https://www.dropbox.com/events

What third party app did you use to edit the pictures in your Mac? Did you drag them directly from this app to your Dropbox folder?

Fiona

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

thanks for looking into this. Are you a Dropbox employee? Just curious.

Attaching a screen shot from the events page. That doesn't tell me anything except confirms that 2 files are being uploaded. I never connect my camera direclty to the computer so the camera cannot be sending directly. I don't think it even has that capability. So i don't see how they could possibly be uploading from another device.

I'm doing my editing in Adobe Bridge/photoshop and then dragging and dropping my edited jpg files directly to my Dropbox folder as I have in the past with no issues.

Please notice that even when I drag and drop by screen shot to this forum it sends 2 copies... what the heck?Screen Shot 2019-10-14 at 9.41.19 AM.pngScreen Shot 2019-10-14 at 9.41.19 AM.png

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @Jaybirdy; sorry to be jumping in here and happy Monday!

To begin with, yes, @Fiona is a member of our team and as per the issue you're noticing, I'd suggest an internet search on your prefered web browser with the term "apple's double files".

For context, the issue you're seeing is a Mac issue that occurs when copying files with extended attributes metadata into a file system that doesn't support them. Depending on the information stored in the metadata, you may or may not need these files.

To avoid this issue if you have your Dropbox folder on an external drive, we recommend ensuring that the drive is formatted in the default file system format for the Operating System that is installed.

Note that formatting drives may cause data to be deleted while you can consult resources from your Operating System's manufacturer for steps and recommendations on formatting drives to a different file system if needed keeping in mind that the most common default file systems are NTFS (Windows), HFS (Mac OS or ext4 (Linux).

Let us know if this helped!

Walter

Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

thanks for pitching in Walter. This is interesting because I'm using Dropbox the way I always have. The only thing that has changed is that I have a new iMac with the latest OS and up to date software. I'm not attaching any more or less metadata than i always have. My files are coming from newish external drives. I don't think i formatted the drives. They just seem to work. Do you think the problem is with how the external drives are formatted? I guess i could send a few files directly from my Mac hard drive as a test to see if they duplicate? If so, the drives would be the culprit?

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

@Jaybirdy wrote:

Do you think the problem is with how the external drives are formatted?

Yes, absolutely. Unless the drive is formatted in a format native to the Mac, dot underscore (Apple Double) files will be created to store any extended attributes that macOS tries to write.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thank you @Walter and @Rich. I totally agree with all said above.

For other users that don't know which device has generated the problem, I must add that, you can to confirm the computer device that is adding these files by checking the "Version history" of the file on dropbox.com.

You can read more about xattrs here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_file_attributes

For information about supported attributes and file systems please check the details for your specific OS. 

We hope this was a helpful discussion and we get to see you around in another Community thread @Jaybirdy.

Have a nice day! 

Fiona

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?