cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox lost ALL my music from itunes, partly my fault

Dropbox lost ALL my music from itunes, partly my fault

Tom_Bunnow
Explorer | Level 4

Somehow, Dropbox tried to sync my whole computer.  I have no idea how.  As a result, 43GB of music that I'd been collecting and ripping for the last 15 years is now ALL GONE.  The folder archive is all intact in my file explorer, but the folders are all empty.

How Dropbox decided to sync my whole computer, I have no clue, but I kept getting error messages form Dropbox stating my box was full and encouraging me to update to more storage.  All I had synced was my missionary support file.  Today I finally looking into how my box could be full from only one file and found that the whole computer was synced to Dropbox.

So I did what any smart person would do, I decided to delete the whole computer backup from dropbox.  Now my dropbox only has the one file that I wanted in there.  Imagine my surprise as I watched every icon on my desktop disappear with the exception of the Recycle Bin.  By the time I figured out what I had done, it was ALL gone.  I'd already lost 41GB of music files and only 2GB was in dropbox, but now it is ALL GONE.

My important documents form my mission organization?  All gone.

Now I just looked in my folders for my photos... yup, ALL GONE.  I've lost every photo that was on my computer, family photos, vacation photos.

Videos?  All gone...

How can Dropbox possible do so much damage?

Dropbox, you REALLY need to work on your system and have more instructions and warnings before people make mistakes that ruin there computer.

Is there ANY way to get my stuff back?

It is NOT in my recycle bin.

5 Replies 5

Re: Dropbox lost ALL my music from itunes, partly my fault

Hannah
Dropboxer
Hey @Tom_Bunnow, thanks for your post and for your feedback.

It sounds like you enabled the computer backup feature on your Dropbox application. 

Before you disable this feature, try restoring your deleted files from your Deleted files page or your Events page in Dropbox.

After they are all restored, you can disable the feature, by following the steps here. This will stop your desktop files from being backed up to Dropbox and you can move them back to their original locations. 

Let me know if you have any questions!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Tom_Bunnow
Explorer | Level 4

I went to deleted files and tried to restore them all.  I was able to restore 6 files, but then got a message stating I cannot restore any more files because my account is full and it suggests I update for more storage.

If that's the case and the only way to restore my files is to upgrade, then I smell a scam.  If dropbox removes all YOUR files from your computer and then makes you pay money to get back your own files, that sounds illegal to me.

More suggestions?

Hannah
Dropboxer
I'm sorry you feel that way, Tom, but let's see what we can do to actually resolve this. 

Can I reach out to you via email to the address you have here, so we can look into it more closely?

Let me know.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Tom_Bunnow
Explorer | Level 4

Yes, please reach out to me via email.  We're trying to do our taxes, but ALL the files we had downloaded (W2 and 1099s) are all gone.

Hannah
Dropboxer
Sure thing, Tom, I just reached out to you. Make sure to check your email!

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropboxer
    Tom_Bunnow Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?