cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox macOS 11 Big Sur Problem: Finder Integration and Smart Sync

Dropbox macOS 11 Big Sur Problem: Finder Integration and Smart Sync

JOfE
Experienced | Level 11
Go to solution

Dropbox version v110.3425 in macOS 11 is not showing integration in the finder menu. It is also not showing smart sync notifications in finder windows. Anyone else have this problem?

76 Replies 76

Sparqx
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

This problem was recently resolved on my MacBook Pro with Dropbox update v112.3.247. I am running macOS Big Sur Version 11.1 Beta (20C5048k), and Dropbox should also work on the standard public release of Big Sur. Hopefully this can close out the problems reported in this thread.

JOfE
Experienced | Level 11
Go to solution

How do you get that latest version? I'm on 110.4.458

Sparqx
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi John,

I just saw your question, and sorry not to answer it earlier. The app automatically updates itself when needed. To learn more, open the Dropbox Preferences screen from the app.

2020-12-05_17-47-54.jpg

From this preferences screen, click on Learn about Dropbox Update. It takes you to a Dropbox website page that starts as follows:

2020-12-05_17-50-17.jpg

Information about the actual update process that runs alongside the main Dropbox process can be found at https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/desktop/upgrade-latest-version. There is no manual method for updating Dropbox, other than to download the latest file and install it over the current version. Dropbox installer is designed to automatically update Dropbox when it detects a slowdown in main app activity, and as explained on the referenced webpage, there is no way to turn that behavior off. Sounds like the Dropbox team made that decision due to high reliability requirements, tight coupling with Finder, and also the need to rapidly roll out updates for functionality and security when called for. If your version of Dropbox is not automatically updating, it may be that you need to manually download and reinstall Dropbox on your computer, after which it should update itself automatically in the future.

JOfE
Experienced | Level 11
Go to solution

Thanks for the reply. This has always been a bit of mystery to me why dropbox updates others to newer versions and others not. (I first noticed it when I worked with 2 identical computers side by side)

I am now at version 111.4.472 and the problem persists. My dropbox is not busy with other tasks. I recently re-downloaded the app, thinking I could jump-start the process and pull the latest version.  Here I stay at version 111.4.472 as do the problems with size calculations and badge icons. And because dropbox is not setting its folder to zero bytes, my computer is crippled. I opened a ticket with dropbox support 2 days ago and have gone back and forth with a dropbox technician. Here I wait.

Sparqx
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
I am sorry to hear you have to deal with this. Goes to show just how complex software can be, even on a relatively closed ecosystem like macOS. Since iCloud Drive has gained similar features as Dropbox, I sometimes move or copy files to iCloud until issues with Dropbox have been resolved. I like Dropbox more, but sometimes am forced to work around such problems until they are resolved.

MikeyO
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I was having the same issue <no right click, contextual menu intergation into finder folowing OS upgrade to Big Sur 11.1>.  I just did a delete of my Dropbox desktop app, including removing the Dropbox folder from /Library, then a fresh reinstall - now working fine again.

hidrosaurus
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi everyone. Is this problem solved?

I have re-installed Dropbox multiple times but it only lasted an hour before.

WillMayall
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I found that I needed to completely uninstall and reinstall Dropbox using the steps on this page:

https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/desktop/advanced-reinstall

I was already running the latest version of Big Sur and Dropbox as of 29-Dec-2020.

JOfE
Experienced | Level 11
Go to solution

I am now on 13.3.427. No resolution. Working with Dropbox support for weeks on this issue, now escalated to the 3rd tech. I have done multiple advance reinstalls. No progress. I will report if anything is resolved.

John M.167
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Same, I'm on 113.3.427 and still have the same problems with Finder integration and no right-click menu.

macOS v11.1

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

mavis1980 Explorer | Level 4
    jaschanarveson Explorer | Level 4
    MildT New member | Level 2
    thehankjacobs New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?